CRM 4 Deployment Manager deleting org that i just imported RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I am trying to create a development CRM 4 box and import the database from the production box.  So far i have done this:

Installed SQL Server 2008 (server name: CRM4DBDEV)
    Installed MSDCRM 4.0 (server name: CRM4APPDEV)
    Installed RollUp 7 (to match the production server)
    Imported all customizations from production
    Redeployed a copy of the production DB (organizationname_MSCRM) onto the CRM4DBDEV

When I use the Deployment Manager to import the production organization, everything appears to go through just fine.  Once i have it imported, if I try to do anything with it or to anything else (example: Disable the organization from the installation), it disappears.  When I go to the SQL DB (CRM4DBDEV) MSCRM_CONFIG and look in the dbo.Organization table, it shows that the organization that was just imported has the IsDeleted=1.  After doing some testing it appears that upon doing the import the IsDeleted is set to 1 right from the start, which is why it deletes itself from the Deployment Manager.  My question then is, how can I import this database and not have it automatically delete itself?  Am I missing a step?  I do have the Enterprise version installed, so i can have multiple org's.

Thanks for any help,

-Ben

Thursday, March 25, 2010 7:11 PM

Answers

• Hi Ben,

are you sure that the import was successful? The result page is a little bit measleading, if you don't read the message.

If there is an error at the import, the system behaves like you described. The org is removed from the deployment.

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:23 AM
  • So it appears that the KB below is the final answer.  I had about 45GB in my DB, and in order to get it all in I had to go to a minimum of Rollup 8 (I actually went on ahead to Rollup 9) and make the registry change mentioned in the KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977867/

After implementing this registry change it took 11 minutes to import the entire DB, when it took 10 to 20 HOURS just fail before it.

Thank you everyone for you help.

• Marked as answer by bjmorch Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:36 PM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:36 PM

All replies

• Hi Ben,

As a quick test:  Restore the db with a different name such as crm4dbdev2 and when you import also give it a different org name such as crm4dbdev2.

Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Friday, March 26, 2010 1:44 AM
  • Hi Ben,

are you sure that the import was successful? The result page is a little bit measleading, if you don't read the message.

If there is an error at the import, the system behaves like you described. The org is removed from the deployment.

Friday, March 26, 2010 2:23 AM
  • ckeller,

It appears that you were correct.  There was an error there.  From viewing the log file it appears that it is coming from the fact that I currently don't have access to AD Users.  My co-workers and I have found this to be an issue in a number of locations in the installation/redeployment process.  I wonder if anyone knows what the minimum access level is to install MSCRM4 and do an Import Org through the Deployment Manager.

Alex - I had done that suggestion already.  It does not appear to make any difference.  Thank you for the suggestion though.

I will let you guys know how this turns out and if the theory of AD Users access is correct.

-Ben

Friday, March 26, 2010 3:13 PM
  • So it appears that access to add groups to groups was part of the answer.  I was able to run the Import Organization with a little more success finally by having Domain Admin access.  I don't think Domain Admin is totally necessary, but it gave me the permissions I needed to move forward.

Now the issue appears to be that my connection is timing out and I am getting the following error:
    Cannot generate SSPI context.

After looking around online, this error appears to be because the authentication (my username and password) has lost its kerberos ticket. In looking in the trace files, it appears the error is happening because of a connection timeout.  So my questions is, how do I get around this?  The database that I am trying to import is 45GB.  It ran for about 20 hours on Fri-Sat and it ran for 10.5 hours on Mon before getting the error.  I have RollUp 7 on both the database that I am importing and on the application that I am importing into.  I have found that there is a hotfix (included in RollUp 8) that is supposed to optimize the database import that i implemented, but I don't see how it helped yet.  I was thinking of putting RollUp 9 on this to see if this helps, but I will probably wait to see what kind of answers i get from here.

Thanks,

-Ben

Tuesday, March 30, 2010 1:12 PM
  • You're Rollups need to be the same on both systems so if you do update the Rollups do it for both.  There are some know timeout issues associated with importing an organization.  Here is a article that should help.  http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/918609?p=1
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Thursday, April 1, 2010 8:38 PM
  • Donna,

Thank you for your response.  After looking at the link that you posted, it appears that it is describing timeouts associated with importing customizations through the CRM web interface.  I my case I am importing an organization through the Deployment Manager.  Do you think that these are related?

I have put RollUp 9 onto both the production servers and on the would be development servers and tried again.  I received the same error after about 17 hours into the process.  In this particular case I was RDP'd into the application server that was running the Deployment Manager and the import when it gave me the error.  I believe I am going to call in a case for this one.  Thanks for the responses from everyone.  I will post back when i get it resolved.

Friday, April 2, 2010 1:01 PM
  • try this KB, in my haste, I think I copied the wrong one.  I was having a similar issue with a large database and I was able to successfullly import after the following the steps.
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    Friday, April 2, 2010 1:45 PM
  • So it appears that the KB below is the final answer.  I had about 45GB in my DB, and in order to get it all in I had to go to a minimum of Rollup 8 (I actually went on ahead to Rollup 9) and make the registry change mentioned in the KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977867/

After implementing this registry change it took 11 minutes to import the entire DB, when it took 10 to 20 HOURS just fail before it.

Thank you everyone for you help.

• Marked as answer by bjmorch Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:36 PM
    Thursday, April 8, 2010 6:36 PM