Setting no longer show RRS feed

• Question

• When I log into the Windows Home Server Console and press the Settings option, top right, the window appears and displays the first tab for a few seconds and then I am logged out.  I have tried remoting into the server and attempting the setting from the server console there but it just closes.  As far as I know all the updates are installed, it is set to automatic.  I have not changed anything and the only add-in is the power tools (not beta).  It was working a month or two ago, I don't access it often.  I have turned off the server and turned it back on and everything else seems to be working fine.  The home server events only shows backup and other informational things.  In the application event log I found this the below error, don't know if it applies.

Is there another way to get to the settings?  Is there a way to get the error?

Thanks, John

Error:

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: .NET Runtime 2.0 Error Reporting
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 5000
    Date:  8/22/2010
    Time:  9:14:27 AM
    User:  N/A
    Computer: HUGHESHOMESRV
    Description:
    EventType clr20r3, P1 homeserverconsole.exe, P2 6.0.0.0, P3 4acceb5f, P4 whscommon, P5 6.0.0.0, P6 4accead8, P7 334, P8 1b, P9 n3ctrye2kn3c34sgl4zqyrbfte4m13nb, P10 NIL.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

John J. Hughes II
    Monday, August 23, 2010 12:37 AM

Answers

• Hi John,
    you could try a 3rd party VPN solution (i.e. OpenVPN) than the built in (since enabling Windows Server 2003 features on the server, which are not enabled by default, is technically seen also breaking the EULA). This would also be more secure than disabling the Windows Firewall in total.
    Besides this more recommended way to go you could also try uninstalling the WHS Tool Kit. If I remember correctly, if was involved in this crash as well.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:20 PM

All replies

• oh well, get I will have to live with it until vail or whatever it is called comes out... yuck
    John J. Hughes II
    Monday, September 27, 2010 11:43 AM
  • Is the Windows Firewall disabled on your WHS? (Check Services/Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing service - this should be started.)

Olaf

Monday, September 27, 2010 2:52 PM
  • Olaf, thanks for the response.

Hum that is a problem.  I turned it off so I could enable the VPN.  Any suggestion on how to have both?

John J. Hughes II
    Monday, September 27, 2010 9:23 PM
  • Hi John,
    you could try a 3rd party VPN solution (i.e. OpenVPN) than the built in (since enabling Windows Server 2003 features on the server, which are not enabled by default, is technically seen also breaking the EULA). This would also be more secure than disabling the Windows Firewall in total.
    Besides this more recommended way to go you could also try uninstalling the WHS Tool Kit. If I remember correctly, if was involved in this crash as well.

Olaf

Tuesday, September 28, 2010 7:20 PM
  • Thanks Olaf, helpful as always.  I will look at the OpenVPN, seem silly since I have a perfectly good VPN solution on the system already but MS is MS and they do like shooting their customers in the foot.

John J. Hughes II
    Thursday, September 30, 2010 12:21 AM