Connecting several people (with different Live ID's) to the same Mesh. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all - Season's Greetings and Happy New Year!!

Do we have any update on when/how/if we can connect several differnet Live users to the same Mesh?

This suggestion/request seems to have been around for a while.

As is the case with many other multi-computer families, I act as free help desk for my wife and daughter.
    My wife and I live a long distance from my daughter.
    (It's no big problem for my wife and I to troubleshoot, share files, sync or send stuff to each other over the home network of course.)

I have two machines signed in under one Windows Live ID, in my Mesh
    But we would really love to be able to add my wife's machine and our daughter's two machines to one "family" Mesh.
    It would make it so much easier for us to be able to use Mesh Remote Desktop to support our daughter's (fairly frequent!) requests for help.

If I understand correctly, the only way to have all five machines on one Mesh today is to have them all sign in as the same User. (Same email address and Windows Live ID.)

Am I correct?

Am I also correct in stating that we can all share folders as Members of a specified folder's share list.
    But this function does not allow us to use Remote Desktop? (i.e. We MUST have our computers in the same Mesh before being able to use Remote Desktop between any two of the computers.)

All the best!
    Wednesday, December 30, 2009 12:43 PM

Answers

• Yes, to be in a Mesh for remote connection capabilities, you need to have them all signed in with the same LiveID to be in a Mesh.
    You can share folders by inviting other LiveIDs - but not remote desktop. Each LiveID is part of its own Mesh.
    You can connect to the other machines via the Live Desktop - assuming that you sign into the Live Desktop using the LiveID for that machine's Mesh.
    You can submit feedback/search for an vote for existing feedback - 

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 8:56 PM

All replies

• Yes, to be in a Mesh for remote connection capabilities, you need to have them all signed in with the same LiveID to be in a Mesh.
    You can share folders by inviting other LiveIDs - but not remote desktop. Each LiveID is part of its own Mesh.
    You can connect to the other machines via the Live Desktop - assuming that you sign into the Live Desktop using the LiveID for that machine's Mesh.
    You can submit feedback/search for an vote for existing feedback - 

Live Mesh Beta: Suggestions - Go cast your vote!

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 8:56 PM
  • Thanks as always Steve - and Happy New Year!
    Sorry for late response.

btw - I don't get alerted when posts are responded to. (Yes - my contact info is ok :-) )
    I know it's off thread but .......

VBR
    Eamonn
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Same to you, and you are welcome.
    Alerts are hit or miss in the forums, apparently. So, no worries on a delayed reply.
    -steve
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:13 PM