USB Powered Hard Drive loses power RRS feed

• Question

• Three days in a row I've found my usb drive without any power after leaving the Home Server running over night for backup. The USB drive is a bus powered 2.5" SATA drive in a carrier. When I find the drive powerless...I unplug..then plug back in...and drive LED indicates power. The bummer is that I have to shutdown the server (via reset) and reboot to be able to connect again.

I am going to use another drive, in another carrier to try to narrow down the problem.

I'm using a ECS K7S5A m/b, with Athlon +1800...512MB ram. The UBS drive is plugged into a USB add-in card. This might also have something to do with it. If this product is going to be useful...it need to work with older...non-cutting edge equipment.

I haven't submitted a bug..as this might be hardware? Just not sure yet.

Otherwise...this is a product long coming! Kudos to MS! Good job!!

Ken

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:49 AM

Answers

• 2 things could be the cause of this from my experience.

1. Windows is shutting power to the USB port cause it thinks nothing it connected to it and is going to power saving mode. But then again you are running on a desktop so no power saving should be taking place.

2. The USB 2 SATA converter didn't get enough juice and died, happened to me a few times before with my own cases. So you might wanna give that a look

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:53 AM

All replies

• Ken, if the drive is powering down, I doubt that WHS has anything to do with it. It sounds like a hardware problem to me.
    Tuesday, March 6, 2007 2:48 AM
  • 2 things could be the cause of this from my experience.

1. Windows is shutting power to the USB port cause it thinks nothing it connected to it and is going to power saving mode. But then again you are running on a desktop so no power saving should be taking place.

2. The USB 2 SATA converter didn't get enough juice and died, happened to me a few times before with my own cases. So you might wanna give that a look

Tuesday, March 6, 2007 5:53 AM
  • Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the info!

I've ordered a few 300GB drives and plan to take all the drives internal...like I think this product is intended.

Now for another complaint...I reset my motherboard bios..while troubleshooting another problem..and booted the server up with a date of Jan 1, 2003. Now I am unable to log in..because my evaluation period has ended!!! What's up with that?

I assume it's some sort of protection from folks wanting to play with dates to extend product "end" dates.

I'm now reinstalling...with "upgrade" to save my data. Oye! fun with beta!! I'm really enjoying this! -Ken

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 2:08 AM