resetting / deleting a wireless network RRS feed

• Question

• I had a wireless network set up fine, except for the fact I forgot the network key for the WPA security measure.  Now i would like to use the network by another computer I have been trying to a) reset the network key b) make a new network.
    in trying to delete the existing network i deleted the password being '********' in the box, therefore deleted and unknown in order to add back in.  this has left me with the wireless network still existing (my deleting efforts have not worked) but unable to log onto it, and secondly i am no unable to create a new wirelss network.
    does anyone know what i should do to delete the current wireless network from available wireless networks?  i dont just want to remove it from preferred networks, i would like to delete the existence of the whole network so i can start again, make a new wireless network and this time remember the password.
    the other option would be to somehow reset the password but i imagine this isn't possible unless you know the original one.
    i use a siemens gigaset wireless router to emit the wireless signal.
    in the instructions it states to go to a particular IP address in internet explorer where upon being requested to put in a password, it simply says hit login and it goes automatically through.  i guess this must hold true before a wireless network is set up because if i try this now, it says 'passwords do not match'. therefore i assume the password for this is the same as the network key for the network itself.  in other words i can't get onto the options here to try and change something either.

if anyone has some advise i would be very greatful, i have tried everything but cannot delete my original network to set up a new one.

many thanks people!
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 12:16 PM

Answers

• Hi freddien,

This forum is for search related questions. That being said, have you tried resetting your router? There is usually a small button in the back (inside the casing) that you can access with a toothpick or safety pin. Other routers you disconnect from the power for three or four minutes. If there isn't a button in the back and disconnecting your router for several minutes (I do mean three, four maybe five minutes) you may want to search on seimens' website to get the reset instructions. Anyway you do it, this should reset your router to factory settings. You will have to setup your network again, but at least you will be able to use it.

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:38 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:12 PM

All replies

• Hi freddien,

This forum is for search related questions. That being said, have you tried resetting your router? There is usually a small button in the back (inside the casing) that you can access with a toothpick or safety pin. Other routers you disconnect from the power for three or four minutes. If there isn't a button in the back and disconnecting your router for several minutes (I do mean three, four maybe five minutes) you may want to search on seimens' website to get the reset instructions. Anyway you do it, this should reset your router to factory settings. You will have to setup your network again, but at least you will be able to use it.

Brett
    Program Manager, Live Search Webmaster Tools
    • Marked as answer by Brett Yount Tuesday, February 24, 2009 5:38 PM
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:12 PM
  • Brett,

Thanks a lot for your advice.  Finally got it up and running again and reset the old network.

Cheers,
    Freddie
    Tuesday, February 24, 2009 6:01 PM