Pirmary disk failure RRS feed

• Question

• I currently only have a single 1TB dirve in there but I plan on adding atleast one more 1TB if not 1.5 or a 2. My question is that, since I cannot use one drive for just the OS as it won't let me, What happens when the primary drive fails? I don't plan on using duplication for the bulk of data on ther (maybe just photo's) but if if that primary drive fails, how would I go about recovery? If I place anew one in there it will have me do a new installation right? and then what happens to the data stored on my secondary drive?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:16 PM

Answers

• If the primary drive fails, you can swap it against another disk and perform a server reinstall. This is a special mode of installation, which detects and preserves the data on the other data volumes.
    Of course data, which is exclusively stored on the failed disk (non duplicated folders and client backups) will be lost in this situation. To reduce the risk, you should perform regulary backups of shared folders to an external disk through the console and store this disk on a safe place.
    This helps also against disasters like overvoltage, fire, theft or user failure.
    If the failed disk is still accessible, the FAQ How to restore data after server failure explains another method of recovery.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf 
    Monday, July 27, 2009 8:42 PM