Replace Data Drives - lose backups RRS feed

• Question

•  

My WHS (RC1) was configured w/3 250gb drives (one system, and two data). I decided to upgrade the two 250gb (WD) data drives to two 500gb (Segate) drives. Duplication was on and I started by adding one 500gb drive to the data drive pool. The drive was installed, and then added to the server pool. After going though the automatic rebalancing process (took hours...), I removed (via console "remove" command) the 250 gb drives, one at a time, going though rebalancing after each. I then physically removed the 2 each 250gb drives, and installed the second 500gb drive. After the second data drive was installed and rebalacing occurred, I noticed that I had lost all of my previous desktop backups. Due to timing of the hard drive installs and removals (overnight), I did have at least two "new" backups (two desktops), and last night, the remaining desktops were properly backed up. I didnt' loose any duplicated folders, and I don't understand why my old backups were lost. I thought that the sequenced adding, rebalancing, and removal processes would preserve existing backups. I checked the "D" drive backup folder and all the files were dated 8/9 and later, indicating nothing old was left in the backup folder.

Is backup file loss normal when replacing data drives?

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:17 PM

Answers

• The devs have looked into the CAB numbers and have found this is a known issue with RC.  It has been resolved in the RTM version.  Thank you for your follow up!

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:04 PM

All replies

• There's nothing in the documentation which makes me think that this sort of upgrade will result in loss of backups, but the backups aren't duplicated on multiple drives the way shares can be, so I can see how it's possible that this would happen.

Maybe someone from Microsoft will be able to provide some insight on this. If not, I'll try to make time to do some testing this weekend and see what I can come up with.
    Friday, August 10, 2007 3:56 PM
  • Ken - Thanks for your response. I didn't expect the loss of backup data, and it appeared, by the long hours rebalancing after drive removal/installation, that everything was being preserved (as indicated by not loosing the data from the shares).

I thought that I had read a similar post regarding data loss on drive replacement, but I can't find it by searching the forum. I believe the problem was acknowledged as identified and fixed in RTM, but I'm not sure if it just related to "shares" folder data.

Friday, August 10, 2007 4:10 PM
  •  reindeerdad wrote:

Ken - Thanks for your response. I didn't expect the loss of backup data, and it appeared, by the long hours rebalancing after drive removal/installation, that everything was being preserved (as indicated by not loosing the data from the shares).

I thought that I had read a similar post regarding data loss on drive replacement, but I can't find it by searching the forum. I believe the problem was acknowledged as identified and fixed in RTM, but I'm not sure if it just related to "shares" folder data.

Hi Reindeerdad - Can you run talq on your Windows Home Server and post the CAB number here?

TALQ.EXE can be found in %PROGRAMFILES%\Windows Home Server on your home server and on home computers that have the Connector installed. To run it, simply execute TALQ.EXE from a command prompt.

Saturday, August 11, 2007 12:10 AM
  • Hi Joel - I ran Talq and the CAB number is 365032335. Thanks!

Saturday, August 11, 2007 1:40 AM
  •  

Thanks, keep checking back, we may need more information.
    Saturday, August 11, 2007 3:55 AM
  • The devs have looked into the CAB numbers and have found this is a known issue with RC.  It has been resolved in the RTM version.  Thank you for your follow up!

Monday, August 13, 2007 11:04 PM
  • Joel - Thanks for the research and final report on the data loss issue!

Feel free to send me a copy of RTM to test..... 
    Tuesday, August 14, 2007 12:30 AM