Error 0xc004e002 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a computer that I can't seem to keep running on Vista Ultimate.  I'm using the commerical build 6000 that I purchased from Costco,  The installation goes fine, and I install Microsoft Office 2007 and it seems to work OK for about a week or two and then the machine starts blue screening and rebooting itself.  Using the CD I have the system attempt to repair itself.  That seems to work (no more bluescreen) but when I try to login to windows I get the error 0xC004e002 The Software License Service reported that the license store contains inconsistant data.  When I click OK it boots be back to the logon screen.

If I try and go into safe mode I get an error LogonUI.exe Entry point not found the procedure entry point Map)rtualKeyW could not be located in the dynamic link library USER32.dll.

Monday, April 9, 2007 7:02 PM

Answers

• Hi Brad,

Please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860& and post your confirmation number here.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue.  Thank you!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I was using a hardware based RAID from PNY based on Netcell technology.  It makes 3 or 5 drives look like one big drive to windows.  It works great on everything except for Vista.

Everytime I re-installed windows it was only a matter of days before this licensing error would pop up again.

I finally just stuck and old IDE hard drive in as the primary disk and re-installed windows and I haven't had a problem since.

If your laptop is having this problem, then most likely some files got corrupted.  If you're lucky then it will only be a one time thing that you can fix by running scandisk, running some of the fixes mentionned here by others, or re-installing windows.  If it keeps happening to you then you might have a bad disk controller.

You're issue might not have anything to do with hardware, but in my case after about 8-9 re-installations with Vista and then finally giving up on the hardware raid, going to a single drive prevented this error from returning.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:52 PM

All replies

• Try " regsrv32   USER32.dll " in the command prompt / run
    It could solve the problem
    Tuesday, April 10, 2007 6:48 PM
  • I've got safe mode working again after playing around with the system restore a few times.

I still have the same original program with the Error 0xC004E002

If I try to run slmgr (I've seen someone recommending this in other threads) while in safe mode I just get a visual basic script error saying permission denied.

As I stand right now, I can't log in unless I go to safe mode.  I was hoping that I could re-install windows from safe mode, but it will only let me perform a new installation, not and upgrade. 

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:07 AM
  • Would you try the following:

slmgr.vbs /rilc

at a Command Prompt.  Thanks

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:10 AM
  • When I run slmgr I get the Visual Basic error message as follows:

Windows Script Host

Script: c:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbc

Line: 291

Char: 5

Error: Permission denied

Code: 800A0046

Source: Microsoft VBScript runtime error

I am running in safe mode (because the first error prevents me from loggin into normal windows).  I get the Visual Basic error when running the slmgr script whether I use the -rilc or the -ato

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 2:23 AM
  • I'm getting Microsoft Alerts about there being replies to this thread but no answers, this is definately the case.  What can I do about getting this machine working.  I still get the Error 0xC004E002 when trying to login.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 12:59 AM
  • Is there some way that I can reset the license store back to defaults?  Can I clear out something in the registry and put my computer back to where it has no data in the license store (which I assume will make me activate again, something I'm OK with).  I'm not sure that the computers means by inconsistent data, but right now this computer is completely useless to me as I can't log into it without getting this error and it kicking me back to the login screen.  I would re-install windows, but this is the 3rd time the same thing has happened.
    Friday, April 13, 2007 2:51 PM
  • I'm not sure what the answer is yet.  I'm waiting to hear back from some people, but that won't happen until next week.  Thanks for your patience.
    Saturday, April 14, 2007 3:19 AM
  • Hi Brad,

Please open a free service request by visiting: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?c1=509&gprid=9860& and post your confirmation number here.  I'll contact you directly so we can figure out the cause of your issue.  Thank you!

Tuesday, April 17, 2007 6:28 PM
  • I see that you had the same problem as i do now. I have JUST got my new laptop and its already srewed itself up. Its got the same symptons as you and the same error. Would you be able to tell me how you solved it so I can get back to my studies?

Thanks

Mike

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 10:18 AM
  • I was using a hardware based RAID from PNY based on Netcell technology.  It makes 3 or 5 drives look like one big drive to windows.  It works great on everything except for Vista.

Everytime I re-installed windows it was only a matter of days before this licensing error would pop up again.

I finally just stuck and old IDE hard drive in as the primary disk and re-installed windows and I haven't had a problem since.

If your laptop is having this problem, then most likely some files got corrupted.  If you're lucky then it will only be a one time thing that you can fix by running scandisk, running some of the fixes mentionned here by others, or re-installing windows.  If it keeps happening to you then you might have a bad disk controller.

You're issue might not have anything to do with hardware, but in my case after about 8-9 re-installations with Vista and then finally giving up on the hardware raid, going to a single drive prevented this error from returning.

Wednesday, January 23, 2008 3:52 PM
  • I got this same error message about an hour ago.
    I would try some of the things suggested on this thread, but I do not know how to begin.

I followed the link that is about half way through the page, but it asked me a question I don't know how to answer about an error that I do not see on my computer.

Help is appreciated.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:28 PM
  •  

I tried doing system restore to two days ago. That failed.
    Wednesday, May 28, 2008 3:59 PM
  • reformatted my computer. problem is 'gone' for now at least. of course.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 7:05 PM
  • hello

i am having the same problem... I have been getting blue screens for the past few days ...
    so i decided to restore the computer to 2 weeks back...

the computer restarted after restoring, and when i logged in i get that 0xc004e002 .... i can access browser thru the windos help and support and thats it ..have got no access to start button or control panel....

I am not even sure how to get to the command prompt.... tried doing Win + R ..

please helppp
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 12:01 AM
  • i get the same problem today, Error code: 0xC004E002

i install windows vista (original) 2 weeks ago, and some times i get bluescreen, and i get very problems witch .rar and .zip files, everything i try to extract i get corrupted files, and no.. thats not winrar or winzip program error, and i get big problems witch JAVA JDK too... for be more precise... EXCEPT_ACESS_VIOLATION ... and now... this problem.... "0xC004E002"
    i have to say... i realy bored witch this windows, and i cant see no fix for that problem, and i need to work, plz somebody fix thats bug :/ i will install my windows xp again and time to time i will back to forum, if somebody know to fix this problems, plz contact me, my e-mail is: rodrigodamascenonunes@hotmail.com

thanks.
    Friday, October 31, 2008 6:50 AM
  • This error is going to drive me insane!

Wife's computer got an error that the registry was missing when she tried to boot. Looked for Vista Ultimate disk to do a repair on her legitametely bought Vista and couldn't find it.
    Since she was panicking, I went out and bought another copy of Vista Ultimate and did a Repair.
    Booted, logged in, got this error with "The Software Licensing Service reported that the license store contains inconsistent data." It tells me I can call Microsoft to "help resolve this problem", but it brings up a Help screen that says either that it can't find an answer or that it is "under construction".
    Ran Repair again, then it couldn't find the volume to repair.
    Booted into Safe Mode, kept restarting.
    Ran Repair again, volume there, let it do its thing.
    Booted up to the same "0xc004e002" error.
    Tried to reinstall Vista without wiping the drive, but I must be *in* Vista to update the install.
    Booted up in Safe Mode with Command Prompt, tried to start update from command prompt, told I can't update in Safe Mode.
    Tried to do a registration via slui.exe 3 and 4 and it said I can't be in Safe Mode and do that.
    Booted again and left for a smoke. Noticed after an extended period away that there was a warning triangle on the reboot choice in the lower right corner of the screen, so instead of trying to log in, I chose "Install Updates and Shut Down", or something like that. It spent 10+ minutes installing one update and shut down.
    Rebooted again, same error.

HELP! It keeps telling me to call, but what number? And even if I did call, it seems like every option to actually *do* something tells me that I can't do it because of the error or that I'm in safe mode, which is the only way to do *anything*, which is practically nothing. I've bought Vista Ultimate *twice* for the same computer and it seems like I am being punished for it, and my wife is totally freaked out about the possibility of having to format the drive, and I'm freaking out that it got far enough to download and update but I still can't *use* it. So can someone either tell me how to get it fixed without wiping the drive *or* call in a prescription before I go insane? :-)

-jessc @ jessc.com
    Monday, March 2, 2009 1:04 AM
  • Hi jesse,

Would you create a new forum thread and post a diagnostic Report?

To generate a Diagnostic Report, download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue" click the Windows tab, click the "Copy" button, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

If you do not have access to the Start Button:

1) Login to Vista and Click the option that brings up Internet Explorer.
    2) Type: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 into the browser address bar.
    3) A window will come up asking if you want to Run or Save, Select Run
    4) When the program runs, Click the Continue button, then click the Copy button.
    5) Return to this http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/genuinevista/threads/ into the browser address bar.
    6) Create a new thread and Paste in the Diagnostic Report.

Darin MS

Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Monday, March 2, 2009 10:53 PM