Windows Live One Backup Question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi..I just completed a complete backup of my "C" drive to a new external drive (WD Notebook Essential 750 gb) using Windows Live One Care.  When I checked the external drive (F: drive) under "My Computer", all the files are zipped under one folder (55.1 gb) and they're all labled "Part 1"...all the way up to "Part 1175".  How can I get the "F" drive to "mirror" or look just like the file arrangement on my "C" drive so I can get into all folders and sub-folders?  In other words, I would like the F drive to look exactly like the C drive.  Please advise.

Thanks
    Tom  
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 4:55 AM

Answers

• OneCare is a backup program, what you are requesting is actually a 'file copy' program or more specifically, a 'file syncronization' program.

Though you could simply drag and drop the files yourself, if you'd like this automated, there are many tools that do this.  A free one used by Steve, another MVP here, is called 'SyncToy' and comes from Microsoft as a 'PowerToy'.  If you'd like more info either try a search for that name or ask here and I'm sure Steve will see it.

I noticed that Wikipedia has a fairly decent looking article on SyncToy, so that might be a good place to start.

OneCareBear
    Windows OneCare Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, June 2, 2009 5:05 AM