WHS Console blocked after install or reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I've build a WHS for a friend of mine. After installing the OS, I login to the Console to download and install all the updates available (53). After installing the updates and rebooting the server, I try to login to the Console again, but tells me the Console cannot open because Storage Manager is not running. I click ok and go to Services and saw that Storage Manager is disabled. I enable the service to start automaically and start the service as well. I try to login the Console, but now it says Console cannot open because the backup service is not running. Going back into Services, Backup is disabled too. I then enable the service to start automatically and start the service.

A few days ago, I proceed to a reinstall on my own server and it did the same. Why is it behaving like this after installing the updates?

Klode
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 10:24 PM

All replies

• Klode said:

I've build a WHS for a friend of mine. After installing the OS, I login to the Console to download and install all the updates available (53). After installing the updates and rebooting the server, I try to login to the Console again, but tells me the Console cannot open because Storage Manager is not running. I click ok and go to Services and saw that Storage Manager is disabled. I enable the service to start automaically and start the service as well. I try to login the Console, but now it says Console cannot open because the backup service is not running. Going back into Services, Backup is disabled too. I then enable the service to start automatically and start the service.

A few days ago, I proceed to a reinstall on my own server and it did the same. Why is it behaving like this after installing the updates?

Klode

Hi,

Can you please submit a bug to Connect and include client & server CABs, a screenshot of the console with the error (if possible) and a list of any add-ins you might have installed?  We'd like to look at this.

Thanks!
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 12:31 AM
  • Just submitted the bug at Connect. Thank you for your help again.

Any possibility to have a list of all services with their current state. Since I had to manually start some services, may be I need to start more services as well, so a list would be handy. I want to make sure every thing is running as expected.

Klode

Wednesday, March 11, 2009 1:18 PM