Windows Live Mesh behaves badly if there is no Internet connectivity when you logon to your computer RRS feed

• General discussion

• I've recently noticed two bugs related to Windows Live Mesh incorrectly indicating / detecting whether my computer has Internet connectivity or not.

Scenarios:

When I boot my desktop, I sometimes forget to turn on the cable modem, so there's no Internet connectivity when I login. Similarly, it's not unusual for my laptop to not have Internet connectivity when I login, because I haven't picked a wireless network to connect to yet.

Problems 1:

When I login with no Internet connectivity, the Windows Live Mesh icon in my system tray stays greyed-out as it should, however if I right-click on the Windows Live Mesh icon, the menu gives me the option to Work Offline or Signout, which should only be selectable if I'm signed into Windows Live Mesh.

Problem 2:

After logging in with no Internet connectivity, I then connect to the Internet and proceed to check mail, browse the web, etc. I expect that Windows Live Mesh will automatically and quickly detect that I'm now connected to the Internet and connect to the Live Mesh service. Instead, the Windows Live Mesh icon remains greyed out for many minutes before eventually changing the icon from grey to blue. My Windows Sidebar weather gadget can detect that I'm online in a few seconds and update the weather feed. Why does it take Windows Live Mesh so long to notice that I'm now online?

Thanks for listening and keep up the great work.

Monday, May 26, 2008 6:10 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the feedback.  Please feel free to submit a bug report if you haven't already done so, as this will help us to keep track of the issues that you mention.  (Your Problem 1 was recently reported by another customer here on the forums; if you submit your bug through Connect and would like to post the Connect Bug ID here, others can view and vote on it, which is useful to the team.)

Thanks again,

Ben.

------------------------------------------------

To submit a bug with your logs attached:

Please go to http://connect.microsoft.com/. Sign in and then select Live Mesh Tech Preview on Your Dashboard.  Click Feedback and follow the instructions for collecting your logs and then submit a bug.

To get your logs:

1.  Click Start.
    2.  Select All Programs and look for the Live Mesh folder.
    3.  Click
    Collect Live Mesh Logs.
    4.  Your logs will be bundled together in a cab file now located on your desktop.

Attach your LiveMeshLogs.cab file located on your desktop to your bug.

Note: you will have to submit a bug first, then edit it to attach your logs.        

If you do not have access to the Live Mesh Connect site, you can email your logs to lmprev@microsoft.com.  Please provide as much information about your issue as you can in that email.

Wednesday, May 28, 2008 1:21 AM