Vista laptop can't see WHS through Connector, but it can RDP and ping RRS feed

• Question

• I have successfully connected 5 XP boxes and 1 Vista laptop to our WHS, but I just can't a second Vista laptop to see the shares or connect with the Connector. It's the HP Mediasmart box.

The problem Vista laptop (I'll refer to it as the main laptop) can RDP and ping the WHS by hostname/IP, but nslookup fails. It only returns the IP of the router (D-link DIR-655) and fails. The laptop can backup to the WHS, but that's about all it can do. This, I just don't understand. The main Vista laptop can even go to the homeserver.com web page and see the shares, just not from inside the network. Wired or wireless, doesn't matter.
    I can even go to :
    http://server (although I get certificate errors, I can eventually get to the login)
    http://server:55000/enrollid/id.xml gives me the <ID>1</ID> response
    https://server:56000/enroll/id.xml gives me the <ID>2</ID> response
    http://server:55000/enrollid/id.aspx gives me the page full of xml code.

The firewall is turned off on the laptop, and has Norton360 installed. The WHS has the McAfee Addin installed, but it didn't work before that either.
    UPnP is enabled on the router, and everything else on the network works fine including back ups.
    The main laptop has firefox installed, and that's all that I can think of that means anything. If you need any other info, please ask and I'll get it for you.

How does a laptop which can backup to the WHS, ping the WHS, RDP to the WHS, not see the shares or use the connector (which obviously connected to the WHS or else I wouldn't have any backups)????  The main laptop owner has already given up, and already purchased a XP Pro license and is fully ready to dump Vista, but I'd like to figure this out.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 4:26 AM

Answers

• You could add the server also to lmhosts, which would invoke NetBIOS name resolution to that certain IP address.
    But as always if using such a hard coded reference you should also make sure, that the IP address of the server will not change either by assigning a fixed IP address or reserving one for the MAC address of the server in the DHCP server.
    Give us also following output:
    From client and server:
    results of
    ipconfig /all
    in the command line.
    Client only:
    nbtstat -A IP Address of Server
    nslookup server
    (replace server here with the real name of your server, if you changed it)
    In Vista network and sharing center, have you enabled file sharing? Is the subnet assigned as a private network (home/workzone) or as public?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hello,
    regarding the nslookup problem: what happens, if you add the WHS to the hosts file on that laptop?

Since you use a 3rd party firewall on the laptop, we also could assume that this is blocking some of the ports necessary for client side communication. I have seen Live One Care in context with another software blocking all DNS traffic in the past.
    Following ports are needed for communication with WHS:
    HTTP     TCP 55000   Subnet
    HTTPS   TCP 56000   Subnet
    Windows Home Server Computer Backup    TCP 8912   Subnet
    Windows Home Server Transport Service    TCP 1138   Subnet
    For File and Printer Sharing:   
    TCP 139 
    TCP 445
    UDP 137
    UDP 138   (all Subnet)

Does the link Shared folders on Server not work for him?
    What happens pressing Win + R and typing \\server and click OK?

Is NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled on the client?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:37 AM
  • I know this may be a shot in the dark,  but from my experiences in DSL/u-verse tech support, when customers had problems with 1 pc/laptop when others have worked fine,  we have always instructed customers to start comparing software thats on one to the one that actually works.

In the case of Norton....lets say we arent big fans of norton.

Out of curiosity,  what happens if you disable all startup items in msconfig minus the home server connector?  We would get folks to do this and then walk them thru adding one at a time until it stopped working again.

Also... Safe mode with networking... Tried this yet?
    • Edited by SQiRL Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:26 AM modified sentence structure.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 11:24 AM
  • Thanks for the responses guys.

The WHS is in the hosts file, which is now the only reason I can ping by hostname. If I UNC to it, it says that the server is unavailable. The "Shared Folders" link on the desktop doesn't work, says it's unavailable.

I fully disabled Norton and it still didn't work. NetBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled.

I haven't tried Safe Mode with Networking yet, nor have I treid disabling everything in MSCONFIG so I'll give both of those a whirl next.
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:18 PM
  • You could add the server also to lmhosts, which would invoke NetBIOS name resolution to that certain IP address.
    But as always if using such a hard coded reference you should also make sure, that the IP address of the server will not change either by assigning a fixed IP address or reserving one for the MAC address of the server in the DHCP server.
    Give us also following output:
    From client and server:
    results of
    ipconfig /all
    in the command line.
    Client only:
    nbtstat -A IP Address of Server
    nslookup server
    (replace server here with the real name of your server, if you changed it)
    In Vista network and sharing center, have you enabled file sharing? Is the subnet assigned as a private network (home/workzone) or as public?
    Olaf
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:30 PM