Changing Laptops. RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have tried and tried to contact support so my query can be answered by someone from one care support. The only options I could easily find was to post this thread on a forum for all and sundry or to physically write a "smail mail" letter. What ever happened to simple e-mail?? Why is this so????

I have an old laptop with One Care. This will shortly go to the scrap heap/dump. The only option with the support in troubleshooting I could "easily" find was to add another computer thus creating a chain of two computers sharing the One Care. I do not want this. I do not and will not be actually keeping the first laptop. I read that I can add three computers then that is it - it will be my last life!! What happens when my three lives expire??? This is the reason for not wanting to select this option. Can you see? I won't be using two laptops. Where was the option to just transfer the One Care from and old to a new? That is all I ask.

If the facility is there, then can it be made easier to find please?

If the facility is not there then it should be.

If there is a facility to contact (by e-mail) support then this also needs to be made clear to find. If not then it also should be.

Will this question ever be asked?? Will I ever be able to just have one laptop ( my most current ) protected by One care??

Matt

Monday, June 8, 2009 7:55 PM

Answers

All replies

• To remove the retiring laptop, uninstall One Care. On the new computer install the One Care trial - http://onecare.live.com/standard/en-us/install/install.htm To activate, open One Care, select "Subscribe" and when asked for a Live ID enter the Live ID and password associated with your One Care subscription and One Care will activate. After activation make the new laptop a "Hub" computer, go to "Manage Your One Care Circle" then remove any computers which appear and no longer have One Care installed. You can then choose to stop using the new laptop as a Hub.
    For help with reaching support see the FAQs - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

Jim - MVP Windows Live - Forum Moderator - Live One Care - Live Mesh
    Monday, June 8, 2009 8:34 PM
  • Thank you.

Although I am eager to do this - I have to say it doesn't sound very easy at all. Now I have actually added this new laptop as a second I'm not sure how easy it will be to rearrange this now. I have saved your guidance and will consider it when I have a weeks holiday to deal with it.

It's like wanting to achieve "ABC" but actually going through "stuvwxyz...abc" in order to get there.

Is this as easy as it gets? MAybe someone could feedback to support about the difficult process required to achieve this. May I, a novice, venture to suggest we just have a link called " add a new PC/laptop and delete the old one" thread. That would be brilliant. Click a button and add the new while uninstalling the old one. Surely this would be the most efficient method.

Furthermore, a link called "e-mail support" would also be useful.

Matt

Tuesday, June 9, 2009 9:19 PM
  • Removing the PC from a hub is actually very easy, though not intuitive. It is also optional, only needed when you are thinking of adding another PC to the subscription and you want to be sure not to have problems.
    If the old PC is still running, uninstalling OneCare from that PC is very easy and accomplishes the same thing.

The process is not likely to change since OneCare subscriptions will no longer be sold after late this year and all support will cease at the end of 2010.

The support process is pretty aggravating, but the theory is that you should search the Help before contacting support, so we are not likely to regain a direct link to email support.

-steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Wednesday, June 10, 2009 12:36 PM