Windows Server 2008 network share as a central Backup share RRS feed

• Question

• HELP!

I keep getting the "OnCare cannot access the network share specified" error if I try to use a Windows 2008 Server share when setting up a Network share on my Hub PC which is running Windows XP.

What I have done so far as gleaned from this forum (Regression tested against all previous changes as I found new things to try)

1. Added all relevant entries to the hosts files and tested to ensure resolution

2. Used ip address in unc path

3. Mapped drive to share, tested permissions by creating text file, used drive letter rather than unc path

4. Ensured share had full permissions for Everyone group, tried both guest and specific account access

5. Tested Hub PC by connecting to another XP PC with a share - No problem

6. Disabled firewall on Windows 2008 member server still no joy

Any guidance would be appreciated!

Regards,

OneCareNewbie

Friday, May 30, 2008 9:31 PM

Answers

• Steve,

I have managed to figure out what causes the problem!!

MS Support were no help as we found ourselves in the dreaded circle of futilty, due to my testing being on a trial version - MS Support: "Buy the product and we will give you the support" / Me: "Support me and prove the product works and I will buy it"

....regardless the secret here lies in the HUB PC setup or rather ignoring it for Backups.

If you setup each OneCare PC backup individually and add the Network share to point to the same Windows 2008 share (and have followed all the other backup requirements such as ensuring an account exists fo each PC that will access the share and have granted pemissions on that share for all the creted accounts)  it works perfectly!

A workaround if you are determind to use the Hub PC route is to create a generic account on the share and then replicate that account on each individual PC with exact same name and password - tested this and works fine but leaves you with a security hole the size of a barn.

What is happening under the covers I suspect is that when you go the Hub PC route it only prompts you or indeed can only accept one set of credentials, but for it to work, the share will demand each PC in the HUBs credentials to be presented and therefore it fails unless there is a generic account.

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Regards,

OneCareNewbie

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:12 PM

All replies

• For number 4, I assume that you mean that you tested reading and writing the the Share from the hub PC?

For number 3, have you also tried the UNC path to the Share?

As you have seen from perusing the forum, there are many open threads for issues with using a Network Share as the backup destination, particularly NAS devices. As far as I know, the basic problems with a Share on another PC would be permissions or path related.

-steve

Friday, May 30, 2008 11:47 PM
  • Steve,

For number 4, I assume that you mean that you tested reading and writing the the Share from the hub PC?

Yep tried it in all various ways, no luck

For number 3, have you also tried the UNC path to the Share?

Yep, tried using IP address in UNC path and FQDN, no luck

The frustrating bit is that getting it to work with a share on another PC using XP or Linux is very easy (Done it 4 or 5 times now to test), it is only when the share is on my Windows 2008 Server that it refuses.

I am sure there is a simple setting somewhere preventing this, I will log a call with MS and see what they say

Thanks for the help so far!

-OneCareNewbie

Saturday, May 31, 2008 8:30 AM
  • Do let us know what you find, please. I suspect that it is a setting on the server...

-steve

Saturday, May 31, 2008 9:12 PM
  • Steve,

I have managed to figure out what causes the problem!!

MS Support were no help as we found ourselves in the dreaded circle of futilty, due to my testing being on a trial version - MS Support: "Buy the product and we will give you the support" / Me: "Support me and prove the product works and I will buy it"

....regardless the secret here lies in the HUB PC setup or rather ignoring it for Backups.

If you setup each OneCare PC backup individually and add the Network share to point to the same Windows 2008 share (and have followed all the other backup requirements such as ensuring an account exists fo each PC that will access the share and have granted pemissions on that share for all the creted accounts)  it works perfectly!

A workaround if you are determind to use the Hub PC route is to create a generic account on the share and then replicate that account on each individual PC with exact same name and password - tested this and works fine but leaves you with a security hole the size of a barn.

What is happening under the covers I suspect is that when you go the Hub PC route it only prompts you or indeed can only accept one set of credentials, but for it to work, the share will demand each PC in the HUBs credentials to be presented and therefore it fails unless there is a generic account.

Hope this helps someone else out there!

Regards,

OneCareNewbie

Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:12 PM
  • Thanks for the detailed explanation!

-steve

Friday, June 6, 2008 1:59 AM