Removing Bad Drive RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings and Salutations!

I have 4 HDD's in my WHS. 3 Seagates (80,1TB,1TB) 1 WD (1TB) OS HDD is fine, (80GB)  I bought 2,2TB drives. Replaced the WD drive (which was the REALLY bad drive) no problem. Now the 2 other Seagate HDD's that are the same make and size. How do I know which drive has the 3 bad sectors that WHS informs me. Can I go by serial number? How would I find this info?

Thanks!

Friday, April 1, 2011 8:31 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    From the HS console, do you know what drive in the storage pool is the bad Seagate drive?

If so:
    * Sshut down the server and physically diconnect one of the two Seageta drives. Then restart the server.
       The drive you disconnected will be show as "missing".
    * Shut down again, reconnect the drive and remove it through the console.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    • Marked as answer by DigitalEXP Saturday, April 2, 2011 6:58 AM
    Friday, April 1, 2011 9:41 PM
  • No because WHS marks them as ST3100034AS. Both are like that. I took one out, hooked up and added the 2nd 2TB. Removing 1 of the 1TB atm. When this is done ill physically remove the 1TB and put in the other 1TB and remove that one the pool. Once I put in the second 1TB ill know which one is dead and add the good 1TB.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 10:34 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    From the HS console, do you know what drive in the storage pool is the bad Seagate drive?

If so:
    * Sshut down the server and physically diconnect one of the two Seageta drives. Then restart the server.
       The drive you disconnected will be show as "missing".
    * Shut down again, reconnect the drive and remove it through the console.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Friday, April 1, 2011 9:41 PM
  • No because WHS marks them as ST3100034AS. Both are like that. I took one out, hooked up and added the 2nd 2TB. Removing 1 of the 1TB atm. When this is done ill physically remove the 1TB and put in the other 1TB and remove that one the pool. Once I put in the second 1TB ill know which one is dead and add the good 1TB.
    Friday, April 1, 2011 10:34 PM