Server will not start with 2 x 2GB memory RRS feed

• Question

• I have a custom built server where I have installed WHS. For this server I have purchased 2 x 2GB of DDR2-memory. In the process of installing the WHS software onto the server I kept receiving BSOD when booting with the WHS CD. Various memory errors were displayed in the BSOD. I removed the second memory module from the motherboard and hoped that I could add this memory module later after the installation. The installation went fine with only one 2GB memory module in place.

Later I tried to reinsert the second memory module to the motherboard again. When both memory modules were in place on the motherboard the server failed to start. The BSOD appeared just after the BIOS Splash screen again and again and again. I tried to swap the memory modules but it had no effect. My conclusion from my attempts was that the server could start with any of the two memory modules in place but not when both of them were in place.

I could not find any errors in the bios setup and I tried using bios 'fail safe defaults'.

Can you please advice me what to do?

Regards,
    Mikael
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:48 PM

Answers

• It sounds to me like there's a problem with one of the DIMM slots on your motherboard.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:52 PM

All replies

• It sounds to me like there's a problem with one of the DIMM slots on your motherboard.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 18, 2010 8:52 PM
  • Hi,

I replaced the memory modules with smaller and slower ones. According to documentation the motherboard supported the faster and bigger ones but apparently WHS did not like them.

I swapped from 2 x 2GB at 1066MHz to 2 x 1GB plus 2 x 512KB at 667MHz.

The server has been running fine for a week now.

Regards,
    Mikael
    Friday, February 5, 2010 9:10 AM
  • Hi Mikael,

The problem is not down to WHS - any operating system would have 'complained' about your DIMMs.  Even though the ratings were with specification the tolerances on such devices are very fine - you may find there are settings in BIOS that would have got the fastest DIMMs working.

All the best,
    Al
    --
    Friday, February 5, 2010 11:02 AM
  • Hi Mikael,
    I miss one scenario - using the second memory module alone. Did you try this also? Maybe its simply the module which is defect.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Saturday, February 6, 2010 10:04 AM
  • Hi Olaf,

Right now I am using all four memory slots on the server's motherboard and there has been no crashes since I replaced the 2 x 2G memory modules with four smaller and slower ones.

The 2 x 2GB memory modules I moved and inserted into a desktop computer running Windows XP and on that computer those memory modules worked fine.

I used Windows Memory Diagnostics on a different computer to check the memory modules and found no faults.

Regards,
    Mikael
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 10:09 AM
  • It's most likely a timing issue.  There are settings in some motherboard BIOSes that allow you to adjust these timings.  Not all motherboards are built the same and memory that should work on paper may not work in the real world - as you have seen.

--
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 11:16 AM
  • Hi Mikael,
                I was just reading in MaximumPC help column about some one with a similar problem as yours. The editor subjected that he check the memory manufacture web page a see what the timing specks requirements are for the memory you were trying to install also the voltage level should be set to. Some hi speed memory need a bit more voltage to work correctly. In the article the editor talked about a 1.8v going to 2.2v for faster ram.

But check your manufacture to see if you need the change it in your BIOS.

P.S. Check The MObo web page to see if anything there for your memory or and updated BIOS.
    Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:18 AM
  • Ah yes, you are right, I remember this situation from one of my PCs with also 2x2GB. After an Bios upgrade the OS (Vista at that time) failed to boot and bluescreened out. Reverting to old Bios did not help.
    Finally playing around with a higher power for the memory modules fixed the issues.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Wednesday, February 10, 2010 12:46 PM