none
As a Microsoft newcomer should I do .NEt 3.5 or .NET 4 certs? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

For the last 3 years my professional experience has ranged quite a bit (to be honest it's all over the place).

It has pretty much been 99% linux though so mostly C and network development. Recently I started working

as a PHP developer and I'm really enjoying the whole web development thing. I want to switch to Microsoft

web development though purely for more job prospects.

My language of choice would be C# but I've never coded in it before (1 year of VB.NET at uni is the closest

in .NET and 3 years of Java). I've gone through a few C# books and it seems pretty straight forward though

I haven't got into the parts which really define the language.

I would prefer to take the .NET 4 Web Development exam (70-515) but not sure if my lack of C# knowledge will

bite me. On the other hand, doing the 3.5 web dev cert and being forced into the pre-req exam (70-536) might

actually be a good thing. Even if there isn't a pre-req for the .net 4 certs, is there a 'things you should know' list

that I can work through?

I currently have around 6 C# books based on 3.5 and 4, the better ones are for 3.5 so I think I'll just learn

what's in them. I'm comparing the books and for a beginner learning the language there doesn't seem to be much

difference between 3.5 and 4.0. After that I plan to buy a ASP.NET 4.0 book work through that, then cross off what

I've covered on the skills measured list (or whatever is on Niall Merrigan blog for asp.net 4.0) then pick up whatever

the book didn't provide.

I guess my question is after all that is, for someone who has 3 years coding experience but not in .NET(C#), should

they do the 3.5 certs or 4.0?

Thanks for reading.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 2:40 AM

Answers

• I would prefer to take the .NET 4 Web Development exam (70-515) but not sure if my lack of C# knowledge will bite me.
    No, your lack of C# knowledge will not bite you when you take the exam (although, of course, it will bite you if you attempt to develop an actual application). It's paradoxical that you can pass one of the developer exams without knowing how to write a program, since the exam only asks questions about the framework libraries and tools, but there are no questions about programming (you can take a look at the "skills measured" list at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-515&locale=en-us#tab2).
    On the other hand, doing the 3.5 web dev cert and being forced into the pre-req exam (70-536) might actually be a good thing. Even if there isn't a pre-req for the .net 4 certs, is there a 'things you should know' list that I can work through?

Yes, the 70-536 exam covers a lot of very interesting topics. If you want to develop aplications with .Net, you should study the subject material, even if you finally choose to not take the exam.

I guess my question is after all that is, for someone who has 3 years coding experience but not in .NET(C#), should they do the 3.5 certs or 4.0?

My recommendation would be to aim for the latest certification (4.0), but do read about the various classes in the Framework Library (as covered in the 70-536 preparation materials), even if you won't take that exam.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Alberto provided already a good answer. Maybe I can give some more information:

- When learning C#, it is not really important if you take a 3.5 or 4 book. There are a few new features in c#, but these are not important if you want to get started with C#. So if you prefer a 3.5 book: That is ok! And new stuff that is introduced with c# 4.0 can be easily learned afterwards without any problems.

- It wasn't mentioned by you, but if you used VB.Net already in the past: You can also develop in VB.Net if you prefer that language. (ok, if you already got multiple c# books, you might no longer consider this!)

- If you want to use the .Net Framework 4, then I would suggest taking the 4.0 cert. The only argument against the new certs is in my eyes, that the self-paced training kits are still not available but they are comming soon (The ASP.Net one on 16th December if I can believe Amazon.com).

- I agree fully, that even reading through the 70-536 content could be very usefull. But when you start, you have enough to read. So after the ASP.Net, there are other things, that can be very usefull: ADO.Net for data access, WCF for communication, WF to create Workflows. So maybe you are busy for quite long reading all about this and once you are done, it might be time already to start again to read new features that come with 5.0 or so :) (One reason why I love my job - there is always something new to learn and master!)

I hope I was able to give some additional information usefull for you.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:19 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• I would prefer to take the .NET 4 Web Development exam (70-515) but not sure if my lack of C# knowledge will bite me.
    No, your lack of C# knowledge will not bite you when you take the exam (although, of course, it will bite you if you attempt to develop an actual application). It's paradoxical that you can pass one of the developer exams without knowing how to write a program, since the exam only asks questions about the framework libraries and tools, but there are no questions about programming (you can take a look at the "skills measured" list at http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-515&locale=en-us#tab2).
    On the other hand, doing the 3.5 web dev cert and being forced into the pre-req exam (70-536) might actually be a good thing. Even if there isn't a pre-req for the .net 4 certs, is there a 'things you should know' list that I can work through?

Yes, the 70-536 exam covers a lot of very interesting topics. If you want to develop aplications with .Net, you should study the subject material, even if you finally choose to not take the exam.

I guess my question is after all that is, for someone who has 3 years coding experience but not in .NET(C#), should they do the 3.5 certs or 4.0?

My recommendation would be to aim for the latest certification (4.0), but do read about the various classes in the Framework Library (as covered in the 70-536 preparation materials), even if you won't take that exam.

Sunday, November 14, 2010 9:20 AM
  • Hi,

Alberto provided already a good answer. Maybe I can give some more information:

- When learning C#, it is not really important if you take a 3.5 or 4 book. There are a few new features in c#, but these are not important if you want to get started with C#. So if you prefer a 3.5 book: That is ok! And new stuff that is introduced with c# 4.0 can be easily learned afterwards without any problems.

- It wasn't mentioned by you, but if you used VB.Net already in the past: You can also develop in VB.Net if you prefer that language. (ok, if you already got multiple c# books, you might no longer consider this!)

- If you want to use the .Net Framework 4, then I would suggest taking the 4.0 cert. The only argument against the new certs is in my eyes, that the self-paced training kits are still not available but they are comming soon (The ASP.Net one on 16th December if I can believe Amazon.com).

- I agree fully, that even reading through the 70-536 content could be very usefull. But when you start, you have enough to read. So after the ASP.Net, there are other things, that can be very usefull: ADO.Net for data access, WCF for communication, WF to create Workflows. So maybe you are busy for quite long reading all about this and once you are done, it might be time already to start again to read new features that come with 5.0 or so :) (One reason why I love my job - there is always something new to learn and master!)

I hope I was able to give some additional information usefull for you.

With kind regards,

Konrad

Monday, November 15, 2010 7:19 AM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the help guys!

I'll aim for the 4.0 certs but not rush into them. There are about 4 books I want to work through that will hopefully give me a decent start with all the things you've mentioned Konrad. After that I will probably pick up a book on each of the topics. Time is on my side so I'm not too concerned about the study books not being out just yet, I'm sure they will be by the time I need them.

Just for the ____ of it I bought the 536 book so I think I have my bases covered now. As for VB.NET, I didn't mind the language I just prefer C#. Now to find a project to start working on!

Monday, November 15, 2010 8:40 AM