WHS 2011 and partitions RRS feed

• Question

• I installed WHS 2011. When I looked with Explorer the drives, I noticed that there were five logical drives. I have in my Home Server two physical drives, 500 MB and 1 TB. Why they have been slipped to so many partitions?

In C: there are usual Windows directories ( 42.5 GB free of 59.9 GB).
    Drive D: is empty (71.8 MB of 99.9 MB)
    In E: there are ServerFolders (405 GB of 405)
    In F: again the same Windows directories as in C: (39.0 GB of 59.9).
    In G: again ServerFolders (834 GB of 871).
    The sum is about 1.5 TB.

I had to install WHS two times because I had some problems with an extra (third) drive with eSATA connection.

Is there problem with two installs (last time I didn't connect the third drive and I started the installation from the beginning (new installation).

Or has my computer for some reason duplicated the installation (like RAID) or something else.

BR
    Nikorios

• Edited by Nikorios Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:37 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 2:32 PM

Answers

• It sounds as though when you re-installed, you did that to a new location and left the remnants of the original installation there. I suggest that it should be safe to delete the old folders (o reformat)  on the third drive which was not connected when you last installed.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Nikorios Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:04 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:14 PM
  • That sounds like a good plan. If you can connect the drives to another PC, you can delete the partitions with Disk Management. Failing that, I use one of the Linux Live distributions running from a DVD. From what I remember, WHS does not have the ability to delete partitions during installation as you  can with W7.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Nikorios Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:03 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:00 PM
  • You can't change the location of your WHS installation without reinstalling - if so it would be easier to install with only one disk connected before adding the second after installation. You can move individual shared folders from their current location to the empty disk using the Dashboard - don't try moving them any other way. Why do you want the OS and data on different disks?

Don't forget that it would be a good idea to have a disk to back up the Server OS and data.

Monday, July 2, 2012 6:37 PM
  • That's the way it is - no reason why the WHS partition should be any bigger than what Microsoft dictates unless you are trying to do something with the Server that is not planned for. If you don't want data on the same drive then the only solution is to not use that space or install on a smaller disk while still meeting the minimum requirement.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 1:30 PM
  • Sorry to ask for some more information. Now I could manage the WHS drives. But the problem is that I have Win installation in drive C: and ServerFolders in D: But unfortunately they are on the same disk0, 1 TB. The other disk1 500 GB, is empty. Now I have some problems:

1. Could I have Win in disk1 and ServerFolders in disk0?
    1.1. Or does it mean that Win should be in disk0 (means I should change the disk numbers)?
    1.2. Is it possible to install WHS so that Win and ServerFolders are on different disks?
    2. What is actually the Linux program with which I could change the partitions to 1:1 (1 disk, 1 partition)?

Thanks

Nikorios

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:12 PM

All replies

• It sounds as though when you re-installed, you did that to a new location and left the remnants of the original installation there. I suggest that it should be safe to delete the old folders (o reformat)  on the third drive which was not connected when you last installed.

• Marked as answer by Nikorios Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:04 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:14 PM
  • Thaks a lot Phil

I think that I should delete all tha partitions and install WHS again. Which would be the best way to format the drives wihout any partiitons?

Best regards

Nikorios

• Edited by Nikorios Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:28 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 5:28 PM
  • That sounds like a good plan. If you can connect the drives to another PC, you can delete the partitions with Disk Management. Failing that, I use one of the Linux Live distributions running from a DVD. From what I remember, WHS does not have the ability to delete partitions during installation as you  can with W7.

Saturday, June 30, 2012 6:00 PM
  • Tanks again. Sorry that I didn't explain exactly. Those two drivers that are in my Home Server. Unfortunately the external hard drive isn't actually partitioned. I could easily format it in some other Win7 computer. So I try to find some program (like Linux based) to handle my Home Server.

Best regards

Nikorios

• Edited by Nikorios Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:23 PM
    Saturday, June 30, 2012 7:20 PM
  • Sorry to ask for some more information. Now I could manage the WHS drives. But the problem is that I have Win installation in drive C: and ServerFolders in D: But unfortunately they are on the same disk0, 1 TB. The other disk1 500 GB, is empty. Now I have some problems:

1. Could I have Win in disk1 and ServerFolders in disk0?
    1.1. Or does it mean that Win should be in disk0 (means I should change the disk numbers)?
    1.2. Is it possible to install WHS so that Win and ServerFolders are on different disks?
    2. What is actually the Linux program with which I could change the partitions to 1:1 (1 disk, 1 partition)?

Thanks

Nikorios

Monday, July 2, 2012 2:12 PM
  • You can't change the location of your WHS installation without reinstalling - if so it would be easier to install with only one disk connected before adding the second after installation. You can move individual shared folders from their current location to the empty disk using the Dashboard - don't try moving them any other way. Why do you want the OS and data on different disks?

Don't forget that it would be a good idea to have a disk to back up the Server OS and data.

Monday, July 2, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Thank you very much again Phil. I organized my Home Server with WHS's Disk Management. But I think I cannot solve this problem in my way.

The idea to have Win and ServerFolders on different disks is that I'm bored with disk limitations in several computers. Now when I have disks enough in my Home Server, I’d like to put Win and ServerFolders on different disks. I think that 500 MB is enough for WHS and Security programs etc. and 1 TB will do for my own data for a while. Then I have one disk of 3 TB outside my computer with eSATA connection and that I'll use for server backups.

So far things seem to be OK. But the actual problem is that WHS makes it's own partitions. There's no use to make diskX as C: and diskY as D: when WHS makes it's own partitions anyway. Last time when I installed WHS it installed Win in C: with 60 MB, which is too little I think.

Now when I'll move ServerFolders to the empty 1 TB disk (thank you for your important advice) it will solve my "own data problem".  But then Windows will still be in the space of 60 MB because I cannot unite the two partitions to one and have space of 500 GT. I'll have the boot disk with partition 60 GB and 440 GB which (the last) I cannot actually use.

I hope that in the future version of WHS the partitioning could be done in a better way.

Nikorios

• Edited by Nikorios Tuesday, July 3, 2012 9:21 AM
    Tuesday, July 3, 2012 7:05 AM
  • That's the way it is - no reason why the WHS partition should be any bigger than what Microsoft dictates unless you are trying to do something with the Server that is not planned for. If you don't want data on the same drive then the only solution is to not use that space or install on a smaller disk while still meeting the minimum requirement.

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 1:30 PM
  • So all I can do now is to thank you Phil for your patience and for quick and continuing help. I marked all your comments as Answers because they helped me in many situations. Maybe you get some points that way and I think you earn more than that. Let's really hope that MS really understand what they have done and make it better. And I'm quite sure that I can find some use for the extra space.

Best regards

Nikorios

Tuesday, July 3, 2012 5:13 PM