Vista Validation and BIOS update issue. RRS feed

• General discussion

• I have a genuine copy of Vista Ultimate OEM with the following serial number: V6G6XP4294KCM9YCT934Jxxx. This copy had been running on my machine for more than 6 months with no issues.  I upgraded my video card from a 7800GTX to a 8800GTS.

Still no issues.

I read on the eVGA forums that there were some performance issues on my MB and decided to upgrade my BIOS from P23 to P30 which addressed these issues.

I updated my BIOS and then received the message that my copy of Vista had to be activated.

?

I tried to activate my genuine copy again and received the message that this copy was already in use.

??

So this means that the BIOS version number is checked as part of the validation algorithm. I would certainly understand if the serial number of the MB were used for validation purposes but the BIOS version number?

The serial number of a MB can't change. A BIOS update is not a new machine.

This issue needs to be addressed by Microsoft. I have already advised the MB manufacturer of this issue.

Before someone tells me that it is easy to get activated please take notice of the fact that I live in Australia where you are put on hold for more than 2 hours before you can get serviced.

This is totally unsatisfactory.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:35 PM

All replies

•  

Tom:

Updating a major component like the BIOS often requires telephone activation to bind your product key to a new Hardware "Stamp".

You can perform this by clicking start/windows and then typing in "slui.exe 4" and doing telephone activation. Takes 3-6 minutes for most users.

-phil

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:40 PM
  • Phil,

Whilst I appreciate your reply you have ignored the fact that, as mentioned in the post, that I (and a lot of other users worldwide) do not live in the US so therefore phone activation after the fact is not a reasonable option. i have bought the product, have a legitimate copy and have the receipt to prove it (apart from the valid serial number).

I am not a "script kiddie" but a 54 year old (unfortunately computer consultant

I have (potentially) lost a AU$750 value due to a Microsoft "feature" which I still say is totally unacceptable.

I understand the pressures of SW development and also understand that it is close to impossible for a Microsoft employee to agree to the fact that one of the products they are supporting is anything but "perfect".

The only reason for my post was to alert forum members and Microsoft personnel to the fact that this is not the way to support users.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:35 PM
  •  

but they have phone numbers for every country that windows is sold in, when you type in that command in the command prompt, you select a country, and they give you a telephone number to call depending on your country.  It is not just for US
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:31 PM
  • ChaosCentral,

I appreciate that you are trying to help me.

The point I was (and still) trying to make is that the validation rule using a BIOS version number instead of the MB serial number is a logic error and should be addressed.

No-one can convince me that I should have to lift up the phone (in any country) due to an error on the part of Microsoft.

I purchased this copy of Vista and have not done anything unusual or illegal.

I am not asking for acknowledgment of this error, I am just passing on this information in the hope that this will be addressed by Microsoft eventually.

Sunday, August 26, 2007 8:34 AM
  • t0mn8r, with various manufacturers, OEM copies of Windows Vista are pre-activated. This system is known as SLP (system locked preinstallation.) The way this system is setup, is by integrating a special key in the ACPI tables, which is of course setup by the BIOS. A corresponding certificate is included in the manufacturer's Windows Vista installation.

So the logical conclusion is, the BIOS you've upgraded to does not have the SLP information. I would advise obtaining the original BIOS image, or contacting your system's vendor if it is not readily available.
    Monday, August 27, 2007 6:33 AM
  • dBased,

Thank you for that information. I was not aware of any pre-activated copies of Vista.

The OEM copy I have is not pre-activated. The MB manufacturer is eVGA and the original BIOS version is at least 10 versions behind. Updates included memory timings and adjustments to the video card I am running now.

Not to labour the point but I am trying to assist by reporting that the algorithm should include the serial number and not the BIOS version as it is quite usual to update the BIOS but the serial number should be considered as part of the activation procedure in order to discourage piracy.

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:08 AM
  •  

Tom:

Thanks for your feedback. I've forwarded this to the team responsible for the server-side validation algorithms.

-phil

Monday, August 27, 2007 6:51 PM
  •  

Phil,

Thanks for that.

I am sure that someone would agree that the validation should not rely on the BIOS version but should in fact take the MB serial number into account.

Not asking for any feedback, just making a comment.

As far as I am concerned this topic is now closed.

With thanks,

Tom Desi

Monday, August 27, 2007 9:38 PM
  • Tom:

(correction to my earlier post) - I forwarded this information to the Activation operations folks (as this is Activation) related. Though this is hard-coded in the Activation Schema since Product Activation was part of Windows (even before Windows Vista/XP/etc) - they will be investigating this possibility for the next release of Windows (whether its Win Vista SP1 or later, who knows).

-phil

Monday, August 27, 2007 11:49 PM