Hp mediasmart server help please RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have an HP Mediasmart ex475 with 1TB of storage, M question is this has anyone been able to remove the block that HP has put on the server so that ou can install programs on the server with out them having to be in a msi form?

This has to be one of the biggest bone head moves that HP has ever made, I want to install printer drivers on the server to also use it as a printserver and wnated to install the software for my two linksys cam's so that when they see motion they would let the server record the motion on the server drives.

But HP in there brite ideas lock out any program install at all, when I had the eval of WHS running on one of my other servers to try it out I was able to install any thing I wanted to now that I purchased the HP server thing that it would do all that I was doing with the eval copy you get lock into only what HP wants to let you use from them there has to be away to remove this lock so that you can use the server the way you want to if not then I have just purchased a 700.00 dollar paper wight because it will be of no use to me and will find its way to the junk pile very fast.

Hope that the others here will be able to help me out with this.

Thanks for the help t come

Mark

Thursday, June 5, 2008 5:47 PM

All replies

• Have you tried copying the zip/exe/whatever file from the shares folder to the desktop via the remote desktop?  Once the files are outside of the shares, perhaps the installer will work.  I've read posts by people on the We Got Served forums, and that's how they installed software/drivers/etc.  After copying the file(s) to the server, you might also have to right click -> properties -> unblock, in order to run the installer.

Thursday, June 5, 2008 6:53 PM
  • I will give that a try, Have tried to install it from the cd on one of the computers using rdp with the cd drive map to the server and no luck but will give this a shot thanks for the reply

Mark

Thursday, June 5, 2008 7:03 PM
  • This behavior is, IIRC, part of "Internet Explorer Enhanced Security Configuration." This search includes several posts that tell you how to turn it off. If just copying the installer to the administrator's desktop won't let you run it you may have to turn it off. I would suggest you turn it back on when you're done; it's annoying to have it interfere like that but it really is there to protect you.

I'll warn you that you may have trouble getting some of the software you want to install working correctly on your server. Some print drivers include a huge amount of additional software which you probably don't want to install, and some printer driver installers (for consumer printers) will refuse to run on Windows Server 2003-based systems. And I think others have had similar issues with webcam software.
    Thursday, June 5, 2008 8:18 PM