Raid, space, and performance help requested RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem. My server has 3 WD 2TB green drives plus the orig 750GB drive, roughly 6.2 TB of space, 40% free, yet 2 of the 2TB disks are 93-94% full. I’ve got duplication on for the photos directory so almost certainly that’s what is on those two as the photos I loaded exceeded 1.6TB and I continue to add. Accessing the photo directory, browsing - reading and writing, is now painfully slow. No surprise there. They are just too full for any sort of reasonable performance. I'm accessing the server through a Dlink gigabit router via cat 6 cables

Is there any reasonable solution? I’ve got more that 2.5TB of free space yet the duplication forces this bottle neck as it makes the files duplicate on separate disks. I know that’s the nature of this, to protect against disk failure, but only work around I can think of is to remove one of these 3 2 TB disks for the storage pool, write 1.8 TB of photos to it, and then remove the duplication on this folder.This will make me sync disks through another SW solution or just do this manually every so often while waiting for 3TB (or whatever) disks to come out. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Another issue is I can’t tell what’s written on what disk. One of the WD disks failed after 24 hours. Went through the replacement hassle and just got the replacement disk back in the pool so it’s got very little on it. You know any way of looking at what’s physically on that?

Thanks for any help.

John

Sunday, October 4, 2009 2:33 AM

All replies

• I have a problem. My server has 3 WD 2TB green drives plus the orig 750GB drive, roughly 6.2 TB of space, 40% free, yet 2 of the 2TB disks are 93-94% full. I’ve got duplication on for the photos directory so almost certainly that’s what is on those two as the photos I loaded exceeded 1.6TB and I continue to add. Accessing the photo directory, browsing - reading and writing, is now painfully slow. No surprise there.

Actually that is surprising.  You shouldn't be experiencing that at all (due to the way Folder Duplication works).

They are just too full for any sort of reasonable performance. I'm accessing the server through a Dlink gigabit router via cat 6 cables

Is there any reasonable solution?

I would start by running chkdsk /r on each drive in the server.  See the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details.

I’ve got more that 2.5TB of free space yet the duplication forces this bottle neck as it makes the files duplicate on separate disks. I know that’s the nature of this, to protect against disk failure, but only work around I can think of is to remove one of these 3 2 TB disks for the storage pool, write 1.8 TB of photos to it, and then remove the duplication on this folder.This will make me sync disks through another SW solution or just do this manually every so often while waiting for 3TB (or whatever) disks to come out. Kind of defeats the purpose.

Another issue is I can’t tell what’s written on what disk. One of the WD disks failed after 24 hours. Went through the replacement hassle and just got the replacement disk back in the pool so it’s got very little on it. You know any way of looking at what’s physically on that?

There is an add-in that has that function called Duplication Info.  Having said that, I wouldn't worry about what files are on which drive.

Thanks for any help.

John

Sunday, October 4, 2009 3:38 AM
  • Kariya21 - thanks for the reply.

As I understand this, duplication of a folder forces that folder to be on seperate disks.

The photo folder has roughly 1.55TB of photos. When I started uploading the HP server had the native 750GB primary disk and 2 2TB WD green drives I added. Formatted, those are roughly 1.8TB each. This means (I think) that each of those 2 WD disks had the photo folder as the primary drive was not large enough to hold it.

Additionally, I'm backing up 6 pc's, 5 home and a work laptop.

The primary disk formatted is 698 GB and shows 28% full. Backups are 361GB which means that at least some of these files/images are on the WD drives as well, so those are jammed full, which is why I added the 3rd WD 2TB drive. Below are the 2 WD drive dumps plus primary disk.

Name WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0 
    Physical Disk 1 
    Serial Number W -DCWVA0Y039798 
    GUID 6ba59581-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 
    Role StorageDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Temperature 42 C / 107.6 F 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 1863 GB 
    Used Space 1763 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 99 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Controller Intel(R) ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller 
    Path Slave 
    External False 

Name WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0 
    Physical Disk 2 
    Serial Number W -DCWVA0Y030807 
    GUID 6ba59580-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 
    Role StorageDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Temperature 41 C / 105.8 F 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 1863 GB 
    Used Space 1748 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 114 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Path Unknown 
    External False 

Primary disk

Name ST3750630AS 
    Physical Disk 0 
    Serial Number Q92K5BZ6 
    GUID 44cb72a0-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 
    Role SystemDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Temperature 43 C / 109.4 F 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 698 GB 
    Used Space 195 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 502 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Path Master 
    External False 

Added the 3rd WD disk last week. It shows virtually empty using the disk management plugin. I assumed that the WHS balancing would be smart enough to move the backups off the two full WD's and onto the 3rd, but that has not happened.

Name WDC WD20EADS-00S2B0 
    Physical Disk 3 
    Serial Number W -DCWVA0Y566972 
    GUID 1974afa3-85f3-44cf-a4b1-497a0b8103c9 
    Role StorageDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 1863 GB 
    Used Space 5 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 1857 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Path Unknown 
    External False

I'd like to continue to use the duplication option but need access speed. I'm assuming that the fact that these disks that have the photos are full is the main problem and I'm enough of a ludite to worry about chkdsk "mounting and dismounting" and what that is doing.

Does this make more sense with the additional info?

Thanks,

John
    Sunday, October 4, 2009 2:53 PM
  • Kariya21 - thanks for the reply.

As I understand this, duplication of a folder forces that folder to be on seperate disks.

More accurately, it stores 2 copies of each file in that share on 2 different hard drives (but not necessarily everything from that share is on the same 2 drives).

The photo folder has roughly 1.55TB of photos. When I started uploading the HP server had the native 750GB primary disk and 2 2TB WD green drives I added. Formatted, those are roughly 1.8TB each. This means (I think) that each of those 2 WD disks had the photo folder as the primary drive was not large enough to hold it.

It doesn't matter what the size of each drive is.  It really depends on how many drives were in the server when you added the data (and whether or not Power Pack 1 had been installed at the time).  PP1 significantly changed the way it handles files.  Also, since you mentioned you are using an HP MSS, is it a EX47x?  If so, those are truly "bare minimum" specs in terms of RAM.

Additionally, I'm backing up 6 pc's, 5 home and a work laptop.

The primary disk formatted is 698 GB and shows 28% full. Backups are 361GB which means that at least some of these files/images are on the WD drives as well, so those are jammed full, which is why I added the 3rd WD 2TB drive. Below are the 2 WD drive dumps plus primary disk.

Name WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0 
    Physical Disk 1 
    Serial Number W -DCWVA0Y039798 
    GUID 6ba59581-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 
    Role StorageDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Temperature 42 C / 107.6 F 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 1863 GB 
    Used Space 1763 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 99 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Path Slave 
    External False 

Name WDC WD20EADS-00R6B0 
    Physical Disk 2 
    Serial Number W -DCWVA0Y030807 
    GUID 6ba59580-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 
    Role StorageDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Temperature 41 C / 105.8 F 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 1863 GB 
    Used Space 1748 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 114 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Path Unknown 
    External False 

Primary disk

Name ST3750630AS 
    Physical Disk 0 
    Serial Number Q92K5BZ6 
    GUID 44cb72a0-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 
    Role SystemDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 698 GB 
    Used Space 195 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 502 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Path Master 
    External False 

Added the 3rd WD disk last week. It shows virtually empty using the disk management plugin. I assumed that the WHS balancing would be smart enough to move the backups off the two full WD's and onto the 3rd, but that has not happened.

WHS doesn't "balance" anything.  The term "Balanced" in the Console is a misnomer (and, IMO, needs to be changed).  "Balancing" in WHS means that when it checks for files to be duplicated (which happens every 60 minutes), it duplicates any file that is in a share marked for duplication that is not currently duplicated.

Name WDC WD20EADS-00S2B0 
    Physical Disk 3 
    Serial Number W -DCWVA0Y566972 
    GUID 1974afa3-85f3-44cf-a4b1-497a0b8103c9 
    Role StorageDisk 
    Status Healthy 
    Failure Predicted False 
    Contains Backups True 
    Capacity 1863 GB 
    Used Space 5 GB 
    Shadow Copy Size 0 GB 
    Free Space 1857 GB 
    Connected True 
    Interface IDE 
    Path Unknown 
    External False

I'd like to continue to use the duplication option but need access speed. I'm assuming that the fact that these disks that have the photos are full is the main problem and I'm enough of a ludite to worry about chkdsk "mounting and dismounting" and what that is doing.

The dismounting of a hard drive is normal.  Just run chkdsk /r (don't use the server at all while it's running) and let it do its thing.  :)  Once the chkdsk is complete, reboot your server.

Does this make more sense with the additional info?

Thanks,

John

Sunday, October 4, 2009 7:53 PM