What if I have to reinstall WHS on a different system? Any activation issues? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I understand how to re-install WHS if my system hard drive fails.  But what happens if I have a hardware failure on the system and I need to reinstall WHS on a different computer.  Will I run into a problem with activation when I re-install it onto the other system?  Is there a way to "un-install" WHS's key (or what ever method is used to store the activation info from the hard drive so I will be able to reinstall WHS on a new computer/motherboard/cpu?

Thanks!
    Charles
    Monday, February 18, 2008 12:28 AM

All replies

•  Charles in Texas, USA wrote:

Hi,

I understand how to re-install WHS if my system hard drive fails.  But what happens if I have a hardware failure on the system and I need to reinstall WHS on a different computer.  Will I run into a problem with activation when I re-install it onto the other system?  Is there a way to "un-install" WHS's key (or what ever method is used to store the activation info from the hard drive so I will be able to reinstall WHS on a new computer/motherboard/cpu?

Thanks!
    Charles
    Since this is OEM software system failure and reinstall on a new system means you will have to get a new key. However if this ever happens you can always reinstall without entering the key and then call MS for activation. Probably they will help you, even though they don't have to.

The other things you suggest are simply illegal, so just don't try. Even if you find some tool that promises it will do the job it probably won't, or if works it will do so at the cost of some nice malware installed on your system.

Monday, February 18, 2008 12:47 AM