Is my server mainboard failing? RRS feed

• Question

• I started using home server on a "bits and bobs" machine.. ie parts I had lying around

A Brand New GA-73PVM-S2 which is running a P4 3.2Ghz 775 CPU and 2Gb of RAM, everything else is on-board - GFX, Ethernet etc..

The First HDD I use was an very old first gen 80Gb SATA drive - over time I added more drives as I became more and more dependent on the server until it was upto 3TB - I never switched the server off, it pretty much looked after itself.

When I moved house a few weeks back it was powered down and on the next boot-up I got a message saying "Windows was unable to load you profile etc" and it started to load a new user - I rebooted and all was fine, but I started getting the error more and more often on reboots (I was attempting to fit a wireless card) until I got a message saying windows couldn't load as C:\windows\system\config was missing or damaged and to run setup and press "r" to attempt to recover the file.... I recovered the file and booted the serve and copied all my files off it and bought a new HDD as I thought the this was the problem being a really old drive....

Brand new 500Gb Seagate arrived and I did a new install and copied all my files back..... on reboot last night (driver install) it did the same   "Windows was unable to load you profile etc"

Is my I/O controller goosed???

Sorry about the long post - pointers appreciated.
    • Edited by Geeba Friday, May 22, 2009 11:26 AM typo
    • Moved by kariya21Moderator Friday, May 22, 2009 8:42 PM hardware question (From:Windows Home Server Software)
    Friday, May 22, 2009 10:54 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    such unspecific errors often are caused by bad or incompatible memory. Could also be a bad cable or a mad driver.
    Can you login locally on your server and check the event viewer for more details (errors and warnings)?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, May 22, 2009 12:35 PM

All replies

• Hi,
    such unspecific errors often are caused by bad or incompatible memory. Could also be a bad cable or a mad driver.
    Can you login locally on your server and check the event viewer for more details (errors and warnings)?
    Olaf

Friday, May 22, 2009 12:35 PM
  • Hiya

Its running on 2Gig of GieL memory - was faily new and ran flawlessly in my games rig for along time.... But I could swap it out to be safe along with some new SATA cables as again they are all odd ones I had lying around.

The board was one I bought by mistake and Gigabyte only make XP and Vista drivers for it - I used the XP ones as I was under the impression that server 2K3 was very similar to XP ??

Thanks for your help Olaf. :D
    Friday, May 22, 2009 2:27 PM
  • Hi,
    while Windows XP drivers usually work, they are not optimized for a server OS. Some core settings on the server are different (i.e. memory management, DirectX settings, audio,  to name some), which may have also implications on drivers.
    Olaf
    Friday, May 22, 2009 6:13 PM
  • Hiya

I installed new memory and cables over the weekend but I'm still getting the odd "Windows can not load your local profile, this many be due to access blah blah - if this persists contact your administrator" and yesterday BSOD!!!! All I can think is that the board is failing or not as you say fully supported - but I'm growing really tired of WHS!!!!

Do you have any mainboard suggestions perhaps? one that has WHS / 2K3 support?

Thanx
    G.
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 10:21 AM
  • You will not find such a mainboard in the current offers (besides those built in to full servers or really old hardware). Good experiences I personally have made with Intel boards with integrated graphics chip.

You can also try to increase the memory voltage - maybe this improves the stability. I had a very instable Vista some month ago after a Bios upgrade on an Asus board (a downgrade didn't fix the behaviour). Finally changing the memory voltage from the default set to an increased value brought the system stability back.

If the board is older than about 2 years, you may also want to check for non flat capacitors. Some of those tend to blow up, especially if the heat in the case is relatively high. Although those often give a more unspecific error pattern.
    Check also, if the cooler is still working well and not too much dust in its rips.

If you say BSOD - what was the exact error code (and/or file referenced) - on it? (Take a look in the event log as well, this should work also remotely if using an local machines Administrator logon with the console password or in safe mode on the server.)

Olaf
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Hi Olaf

I'll take a look at the BIOS later to see if I can up the voltage on it.... the board is only a year or so old and when I bought a new case for it last week I gave everything a good dusting out.

I'm not sure what the BSOD error was - it happened while I was coping the data off one of my old pool hard disks back onto the server after last weeks re-build - I've just tried to logon to my server from work but its not there on my *.homeserver.com or logmein accounts which makes me think its fallen over again..... maybe I'm just better off buying a new board and be done with it!?

:(

PS the board is an Nforce chipset.... Nforce 6 is this a bad choice?
    • Edited by Geeba Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:28 PM info added
    Tuesday, May 26, 2009 1:26 PM