none
Device I/O error when removing drive RRS feed

• Question

• I have a drive that is failing according to the SMART codes. I've tried to remove it but there are two files that fail with device i/o error.

I've run chkdsk /x as listed in the FAQ several times, on the base c: and d: drives and all the drives in c:\fs. But the same failures keep popping up.

The files are:
    D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.212.dat
    D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}\Data.4096.272.dat
    in case that helps.

I haven't tried deleting them or just physically removing the drive. 

I've also tried chkdsk /f on c: and d: 

I'm out of ideas. Any suggestions are gladly appreciated.

John

Friday, March 5, 2010 8:36 PM

All replies

• The FAQ has you run chkdsk /x /r. The /r parameter is what tells chkdsk to scan the disk surface for errors and (try to) fix them. If you haven't run chkdsk with the /r parameter, please use the commands provided in that FAQ to do so.

If you have run with the /r parameter, then the next available option is to physically remove the drive, then afterward remove the drive using the console. If you have shares that aren't duplicated, you may be warned that you will lose some files, and you will certainly be warned that you'll lose backups (the files generating the errors are part of the backup database). Accept that for now, and continue with the console removal. Afterward, you can connect the drive to some computer and copy anything you find in <driveletter>:\DE\shares\etc. back to your server shares. As for the backups, after you've removed the failing drive use the repair option in the console to attempt a repair of the backup database. this will attempt to correct errors (including the missing files). You may lose some or all of your backups in this case (you will certainly lose some).

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, March 5, 2010 9:03 PM