Passwords do not match RRS feed

• Question

• When I reboot, I frequently get a green WHS icon, but with a dialog box telling me that "passwords do not match".

If I click on the box, I get a window explainng that the passwords on both PC's need to match. At the moment, I only have one PC and my server running on WHS. I tried to add another but had probs so un-installed for now. I am not sure if this could be the issue, as I got this same prob when I tried to add the second PC. I did not have time at that stage to investigate, so I un-installed and decided to set itup later when I had the time.

I was not aware that I had selected different passwords for the two pc's. As far as I was aware, I set up one password to access the WHS console. (I also set up another one to access shared folders obviously)

However I tried entering the correct password in each PC's box, and on each occasion, I got told that I have input an incorrect password. I use Roboform to generate my passwords, and wrote it down (safely) the sceond it was generated, so I am confident it is correct.

I then cancelled the process, and tried to open the console. I input my password (which it had just told me was incorrect) and surprise surprise I get aceess to the console.

What am I doing wrong?

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:13 PM

Answers

• The client computers windows logon password must match the user account password on the server.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:20 PM
  • You need a password, you can use "control userpasswords2" in the run line,   google for "control userpasswords2".
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:50 PM
  •  

If the password don't match the user will be prompted to login when accessing resources on the server.

Windows automatically send the logged in user credentials when accessing network resources.

So if the username and password on the server and workstation match, the user will automatically authenticate without being prompted.

Making both accounts have the same password just makes it easier to access resources on the server for the end-user.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:53 PM

All replies

• The client computers windows logon password must match the user account password on the server.
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:20 PM
  • telling me that "passwords do not match"   logon password must match, use the same password
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:41 PM
  • Ah

That starts to make a bit more sense.

But I do not have a password on my client computer logon. I would also prefer not to have one

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:44 PM
  • You need a password, you can use "control userpasswords2" in the run line,   google for "control userpasswords2".
    Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:50 PM
  •  

If the password don't match the user will be prompted to login when accessing resources on the server.

Windows automatically send the logged in user credentials when accessing network resources.

So if the username and password on the server and workstation match, the user will automatically authenticate without being prompted.

Making both accounts have the same password just makes it easier to access resources on the server for the end-user.

Tuesday, May 8, 2007 3:53 PM
  • After installing WHS and using it successfully without problem I "out of left field" got the "Passwords do not match" message. I too had no password on my client machine (Vista).  So after trying many combinations, I added a password to the Vista machine. However the server password entry continued to give me  the "password incorrect" message.
    rebooting both machines failed to solve the problem. Eventually I re-entered the Same password again to the Vista machine User Account control in Control panel and re-entered the same password to the user account control in WHS. Then rebooted. Finally got it to work.

I am very positive that I had entered the correct password in both slots each time to no avail. There seems to be a problem somewhere in the match comparison logic???
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 3:50 AM
  • That no bug, that by design.

The correct way before creating account in WHS or install the connect cd in the client.

That the client should have user and password to login account, reboot the client pc if it new create account, login with the user/password you just did.

Then, after that, create same user/password on the WHS.

That the correct way not the other way you did.

My best.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 5:19 AM
  • 1)  I've done exactly what you describe, and I still have the issue.

2)  Your suggest that this is by design is bogus.   Anytime I change my logon password on the client machine, I need to be able to change the WHS password to match the new Client PC password.  This should happen via the password mis-match popup, then change the password on WHS.  The user acct does exist before setting the new password on the WHS.

I've turned off machines on my network except the WHS and one XP laptop.  The fact is, all resources on the WHS are accessible, and I'm still getting the obnoxious popup.

There may be something I haven't tried yet - I'm still looking - but it sure looks like a bug to me.  If it isn't a bug, it's a serious design flaw, since  a bunch of smart, early adopters are getting screwed by this.

Lastly, the comments in the thread claiming you must have a logon password on the client PCs is not stated in the WHS doc or website or ....

-Joe

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:54 PM