Keeping A Paper Checkbook Register? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

An odd question for sure, but am I wasting my time keeping checkbook hard copies? (paper registers)

I balance three separate checking accounts each month with Money 2004, but I also keep paper registers too.

Here of late, I thought about of relying on electric registers.

Comments?

Regards

Saturday, March 31, 2018 2:17 AM

All replies

• Edit: after re-thinking this, I now think you may be talking about the little book that the bank gives you with the checkbook. I don't keep a complete record myself, but record some info. I have another checkbook with the carbonless copies. That is nice. For that check book, I don't normally write in the little book.

=======my original answer, which I now think missed the point=========
    If you stop keeping paper copies, back up to other media. Money 2004 can back up to a place upon exit, and it can back up to a drive on a schedule. That drive, if a USB drive, has to have less than 2 GB of free space. It is a quirk.

One backup file is not enough. If there was a corruption in your Money file, the corruption could be backed up over your only good backup. Establish your own backup policies that guard against disk failure, computer failure, or even a house fire. Of course paper copies could burn in a house fire too.

Anyway, I would not keep the paper copies. But then I also am happy that the bank tracks that stuff.

Here is another thing.. you can "print" to a file with Windows. Save a tree.

Saturday, March 31, 2018 3:41 AM