Already bought valid XP-Pro RRS feed

• Question

• It appears is if I have a similar problem to another post: " I HAVE a valid XP Pro license for the pc.  The repair shop didn't bother to use it and used their VLK "corporate" license.  Of course, I had no way of knowing.  Am I required to spend the $160 or whatever it is to get the WGA Kit to make the conversion."

I fried the motherboard on my computer and when I bought a new one the shop owner told me I could "not" use my copy of XP-Pro again, even though it was fully legal.. (there was also a distance issue to retrieve my copy) His computer came with XP-Home, but I want Pro for my video work, so he apparently installed his corporate version on my computer. Now MS has detected an "invalid" copy. I now have two valid copies of your software, one XP-Home which has never been installed, and my own copy of XP-Pro which was only installed on my old computer.

What do I have to do to get legal, I don't feel its fair to have to pay Big Bill again! Thanks

Roy
    Sunday, July 9, 2006 8:07 PM

Answers

• Change your Product Key without a Reinstall to match your genuine Product Key or COA:

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409  

Sunday, July 9, 2006 8:11 PM

All replies

• Change your Product Key without a Reinstall to match your genuine Product Key or COA:

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key - all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409  

Sunday, July 9, 2006 8:11 PM
  • Royedw,

If the XP license installed on the computer that fried its motherboard was an OEM license, then it is very possible that the shopkeeper was telling the truth.

If the motherboard you selected was not an identical replacement, or was not the computer-manufacturer-designated-but-not-quite-identical-replacement for the original motherboard in your computer, then the license for XP that came with the computer (OEM) dies with the motherboard.

OTOH, if the license for XP installed on the computer whose motherboard died was a retail license, then the shopkeeper was in error because retail licenses of XP can be moved from computer to computer, as long as they are activated on only once computer at a time.

As Carey posted, the Key Update tool is capable of "genuine-izing" the nongenuine copy of XP installed at the shop using the genuine product key on your existing copy of XP Pro, assuming your existing copy is a retail license.

Monday, July 10, 2006 4:16 AM
  • When I  bought thid oc it already had xp-pro
    Monday, July 10, 2006 12:20 PM
  • when I bought this pc XP-PRO was already installed
    Monday, July 10, 2006 12:27 PM
  • Change the key using the Product Key Update tool below.

The Genuine Advantage Product Key Update Tool is only valid for users attempting to change their current non-genuine Product Key to a genuine COA sticker or genuine Product Key – all without a reinstall! http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=50346&clcid=0x409

Monday, July 10, 2006 1:16 PM
  • When I  bought thid oc it already had xp-pro
    Tuesday, July 11, 2006 12:18 AM