Synchronize over the internet? RRS feed

• Question

• Is it possible to synchronize folders over the internet?
    I need to synchronize some folders at my computer at work with some folders on my NAS at home.
    I never get the OK-option when I select these folders in SyncToy.

Thx.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 1:54 PM

Answers

• Hi -

We do not support sync'ing over HTTP so I am afraid you are out of luck on sync'ing like this through SyncToy

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:59 AM

All replies

• PC to PC sync would probably be better served using Windows Live Sync instead. Also, Microsoft Live Mesh is a good solution to store files on the web and between PCs but has a 5 GB limit.
    Saturday, May 23, 2009 3:13 PM
  • What protocol are you using to access your NAS? 

SyncToy does allow you to have a network folder as an endpoint, you can either enter the full path (ie. \\address\folder )  or map the network drive to a local drive and provider that path (ie. X:\folder).

What do you mean with you never get the "OK-option when you select these folders in SyncToy"?

What version of SyncToy are you using? On what OS and architecture?

Maria del Mar Alvarez Rohena Microsoft Sync Framework
    Wednesday, May 27, 2009 8:38 PM
  • I have the same problem with web folders. Synctoy works fine within my home network and VPN (excellent, in fact), but if I try to select a web folder accessed via https: to create a new pair the OK button is dimmed and Synctoy won't select it. This is using Vista Business with SP2. I am using Synctoy 2.0.
    Monday, July 13, 2009 9:30 AM
  • Hi -

We do not support sync'ing over HTTP so I am afraid you are out of luck on sync'ing like this through SyncToy

Thanks
    Deepa
    Deepa ( Microsoft Sync Framework)
    Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:59 AM