Advise: How do you learn - perform the LABs over a longer time RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

i started another certification again. The last 2 i had to stop because i'm too busy at work.

We are not allowed (MS licensing) to create a lab that uses Exchange or SharePoint etc because we would have to pay for it.

At the moment i want to achieve the MCSA Office 365 "before" we deploy it at our company. I attended the MOC course 3 months ago and now i want to 

Problem is:

The virtual machines that are needed for all labs i cannot install (without paying for the license) - is MSDN somehow an option? My boss said that the restrictions to use these Keys are very high.

I need an own domain name

I need more time than 30 days

How do you handle your learning?

Best regards

Stephan

Regards Stephan

OneDrive / Sharepoint Blog

Saturday, August 19, 2017 9:15 AM

Answers

• MSDN is definately an option if you have an MSDN license.  If not, you can use the Trial copies.  Yes, they are normally time bombed to a limited period, but most of the ones you need are good for up to 180 days.  Office 365 trial is 30 days, but SharePoint Server, SQL, and Windows Server trials are 180 days.  All you really need is some hardware running Windows 10 with enough memory to run a SharePoint farm as a HyperV.

For Office 365 you'll have to live within the 30 day trials, but you can apply for new trials when the old ones expire.  I would install a HyperV of SharePoint first and after you learn SharePoint get an O365 trial to see how it is different from ON-premises SharePoint.

Paul Stork SharePoint Server MVP
    Owner/Principal Architect: Don't Pa..Panic Consulting
    Blog: http://dontpapanic.com/blog
    Twitter: Follow @pstork
    Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:16 PM
  • MSDN is a good option.  Depending on your agreement, you may have up to $150/month Azure credit.  You could use this to deploy the VM’s you need for any training.  There is an option on the VM Blade to schedule a shutdown.  Set that up to deallocate VM’s daily to save some $ when not in use.  Another option if you don’t have MSDN is IT Pro Cloud Essentials.  With this you get 60 days of O365

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2016/04/27/get-started-in-the-cloud-with-the-new-it-pro-cloud-essentials/

I created an Azure AD tenant with a cheap .info domain and the free trial above to study for an Intune exam.  There are a lot of free trials out there and remember, if the 30 or 60 days is not long enough, a new gmail account is free, sign up again with a different account.

As for your last question, I use Pluralsight along with MS documentation.  Classes seem to have a hard time keeping up with changes to cloud services so keeping up with the MS documentation is critical.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:01 AM

All replies

• MSDN is definately an option if you have an MSDN license.  If not, you can use the Trial copies.  Yes, they are normally time bombed to a limited period, but most of the ones you need are good for up to 180 days.  Office 365 trial is 30 days, but SharePoint Server, SQL, and Windows Server trials are 180 days.  All you really need is some hardware running Windows 10 with enough memory to run a SharePoint farm as a HyperV.

For Office 365 you'll have to live within the 30 day trials, but you can apply for new trials when the old ones expire.  I would install a HyperV of SharePoint first and after you learn SharePoint get an O365 trial to see how it is different from ON-premises SharePoint.

Please remember to mark your question as 'answered' if this solves your problem.

Saturday, August 19, 2017 1:16 PM
  • Hi Paul,

thanks for the tips. I'm already managing Exchange, Sharepoint and CRM on premise.
    The responsible license partner said that even i use the trials of software we have to pay for them if we already use this software.

My boss said that if i use MSDN i have to make sure that only me (the designated msdn owner) can use these machines. This is what the responsible license partner said.
    I can't argue with that, because i don't have a clue :)

I really want to build an environment that reflects some of the infrastructure we already having. Then using the MOC book to perform the Labs and after setting everything up performing a migration with hybrid Sharepoint & exchange.

Regards Stephan

OneDrive / Sharepoint Blog

Saturday, August 19, 2017 2:49 PM
  • Sorry, I don't agree with the statement from you license partner.  Trial versions are just that.  As long as you are using them for evaluation purposes, and not production, you don't have to pay for licenses.

For the second paragraph your boss is correct.  Only users licensed for MSDN can use MSDN based VMs.  But you are the one who wants to learn so there is no reason you can't use it.

I would ask the licensing partner to show you something from Microsoft in writing that says you can't use Trial copies for learning the software.  I've never seen any statement like that from Microsoft.

Sunday, August 20, 2017 12:53 PM
  • MSDN is a good option.  Depending on your agreement, you may have up to $150/month Azure credit.  You could use this to deploy the VM’s you need for any training.  There is an option on the VM Blade to schedule a shutdown.  Set that up to deallocate VM’s daily to save some $ when not in use.  Another option if you don’t have MSDN is IT Pro Cloud Essentials.  With this you get 60 days of O365

https://blogs.office.com/en-us/2016/04/27/get-started-in-the-cloud-with-the-new-it-pro-cloud-essentials/

I created an Azure AD tenant with a cheap .info domain and the free trial above to study for an Intune exam.  There are a lot of free trials out there and remember, if the 30 or 60 days is not long enough, a new gmail account is free, sign up again with a different account.

As for your last question, I use Pluralsight along with MS documentation.  Classes seem to have a hard time keeping up with changes to cloud services so keeping up with the MS documentation is critical.

Wednesday, August 30, 2017 3:01 AM