Issue with activateing RRS feed

• Question

• Every time that i have to re install windows xp pro on this compurter (the only one that it is on) microsoft thinks that i have it on other computers.I always have to call them to activate it..
    Monday, January 19, 2009 2:17 AM

Answers

• Albrown,

If you cleanly install the same copy of XP many times onto the same computer, Microsoft's activation servers will eventually flag that Product Key for Telephonic Activation, so you are experiencing expected behavior.

Telephonic activation takes only 7 minutes or less.

Use disk imaging software such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost to take an image of the entire computer installation after the next time you do a clean installation.  Then, then next time after that you need to cleanly install, just run the disk imaging software to reimage.  You're done in 20 minutes instead of three hours.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, January 19, 2009 11:30 PM
    Monday, January 19, 2009 6:07 PM

All replies

• You could keep the wpa.dbl file (from C:\Windows\System32\wpa.dbl) and put it in everytime you have to reinstall, so it keeps the activation data.
    • Proposed as answer by motherboardlove Monday, January 19, 2009 1:49 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, January 19, 2009 11:30 PM
    Monday, January 19, 2009 1:49 PM
  • Albrown,

If you cleanly install the same copy of XP many times onto the same computer, Microsoft's activation servers will eventually flag that Product Key for Telephonic Activation, so you are experiencing expected behavior.

Telephonic activation takes only 7 minutes or less.

Use disk imaging software such as Acronis True Image or Norton Ghost to take an image of the entire computer installation after the next time you do a clean installation.  Then, then next time after that you need to cleanly install, just run the disk imaging software to reimage.  You're done in 20 minutes instead of three hours.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, January 19, 2009 11:30 PM
    Monday, January 19, 2009 6:07 PM