none
Connector can't find server message RRS feed

• Question

• I have seen this topic a couple of times around here, but none of the fixes were able to work for me.
    Here is my ipconfig/all:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
    Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Wilky>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Wilky-PC
       Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
       Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
       IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
       DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : home

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . : home
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1E-8C-37-40-54
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
       Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::4549:c6d1:4d85:f168%10(Preferred)
       IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.4(Preferred)
       Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
       Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:52:24 AM
       Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, November 05, 2008 6:53:26 AM
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controlle
    r
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1C-23-B2-10-DB
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
       IPv6 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 2001:0:4137:9e50:38f3:3356:9f11:419d(Pref
    erred)
       Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::38f3:3356:9f11:419d%8(Preferred)
       Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : ::
       NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Disabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
       Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.home
       Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
       DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\Users\Wilky>

Brand new installation with a brand new velocity hardware. Running the connector software comes to the first screen trying to find home server and gives me this message:
    "This operation cannot be completed at this time. Please try again later."

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 3:23 PM

All replies

• Steve,

That ipconfig, from your Client, appears fine. How does it compare to the same command ran on your Server?

Also, there is a Connector Troubleshooter document, plus the Toolkit available from here. Just note that the installation method for the Toolkit isn't just 'click & install', you need to follow the Manual, which is also available at the same place.

Colin
    If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 5:31 PM
  • I can't get into the server, or at least I don't know how. I have a stand alone server with no keyboard or monitor.

I ran the troubleshooter and it came back with a slew of errors. I am currently trying to figure out which one to try and tackle first.
    Name resolution seems to be a key for others, any help on steps to take to resolve my naming problem??
    I can copy the page the troubleshooter gives me in response to what it found if that would help.

Thanks,
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 9:52 PM
  • Hi Steve,
    I don't like the connection specific DNS suffix, which is labeled home.
    Try to remove that (maybe has to be done in the DHCP configuration of the router) and reboot both the server and the client.
    If this does not help, please give us the info, Colin asked for.
    You should be able to connect to your server using Remote Desktop.
    Enter here either server or the name you have assigned (or figure out the IP address, which you might find somewhere in the routers interface).
    As account use Administrator, as password the Windows Home Server console password, which you should have assigned during the initial configuration.

Is the server new or is it already completely configured via Console?
    Which brand is it? Some vendors deliver assistents on top of the original WHS software for the initial configuration, i.e. assigning server name and password.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:37 PM
  • Using the advanced portion of the troubleshooter, I now have some specific things to work on:

Can't locate server by backup beacon.  I think this is related to port 8912, which I have forwarded and not forwarded in my router with no change in the test.

Name Resolve. It says Upnp has an alias for my server, but both names are the same and the IP addresses are identical. PIng by name and IP address are both okay.

Timeout error on finding port 8912.

Does any of this look like the culprit?? I have fixed some of the errors myself, these are the only issues left until we get to the enroll and enrollid stuff.

Any help would be appreciated,
    Steve
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:39 PM
  • Hi Steve,
    what happens, if you temporary disable the Windows Firewall on the Windows Home Server (logon via Remote Desktop Client and go through Control Panel/Windows Firewall).
    If this does not change the behavior, do you have any security suite installed on the client PC, which may block the communication between connector and server?
    Olaf
    Tuesday, November 4, 2008 11:46 PM
  • I am now waiting on the user name and password from the manufacturer of my server, Velocity. Apparently, they have changed them becasue remote desktop doesn't like Server as the user name and nothing in the password.

Once I am able to get into the server, I will run ipconfig again and try disabling the home server firewall. BTW, I have disabled all firewalls on my computer's end, both windows and my router's.

I also added my server name to the hosts file as Olaf instructed somebody else on another thread.

This server is brand new,  first day of attempting to start it up. I have never seen the home server console or the remote connector console.

Thanks for the help, more info later

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 1:29 AM
  • Hello Steve,
    since the server is brand new, normally the connector installation on the first client should take care of the configuration.
    A fresh installed server has no password, before you set in in the initial configuration, therefore login via Remote desktop is not possible.
    If it is already configured, the user account requested for Remote Desktop is Administrator (and the password the password for the WHS console).
    Since the connector cannot find the server - can you check, if your router assigned an IP address to the server? For this you will have to check the configuration interface of your router.
    How is the client connected to the network?

Maybe you try to connect both machines to the same switch with a cable (without connecting to the router or the Internet) and reboot them. Would the connector software installer now be able to find the server? (As long as both machines get an automatic IP address via APIPA, which happens, if no DHCP server is there and no fixed IP address has been configured.)

Olaf
    Wednesday, November 5, 2008 7:46 AM
  • Thanks for the help Olaf.
    I am now able to see the Server on my network, but I still can't get connector to get passed the opening page.

It has an IP assigned from the router. My client is connected through my wireless adapter.

I have tried wiring my laptop to the router AND disconnecting the internet cable as another thread had tried. It didn't work for me.

I can now go to an opening page on my server which tells me a little info about it and then two options to get started:

1) install connector on my laptop and configure it that way, which we know doesn't work, but I tried it again anyway and got the same message.

2) goto a web page that is listed as                 "On a home computer, browse to http://SERVER:55000/, and then follow the instructions on that page"
    when I follow that link I get a page with three options. The first option is to download and install the connector software (I assume directly from the server), but I get a HTTP error 404, page not found.
    The other option is to download the toolkit and the third option is to contact customer support.

The manufacturer of the server sent me an email with some suggestions, but they were very simple and nothing I hadn't tried, except for one microsoft FAQ about the same problem I am having and all it said was to disable or bypass the proxy server on my internet explorer options page. I am not using the proxy server, so that was no good.

Maybe I don't fully understand what you are saying about connecting to the same switch with a cable. If it's not as I described above, I will be happy to try that again, as I don't have any more ideas.

Thanks,
    Steve

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:02 PM
  • Here is the message troubleshooter gives me on the name resolve issue, it doesn't make sense to me:

Server Name:
    SERVER

IP Address(es):

Alias(es):
    1 servers found by the UPnP protocol.

Server name from UPnP protocol:
    SERVER

Server IP from UPnP protocol:

Any ideas???

Wednesday, November 5, 2008 4:18 PM
  • Manufacturer's rep on tech support was no help. He came back with a very generic reply concerning my login issues and tried to resolve a username/password problem with the end result being, drop it by and we will fix it. They are local, but I have zero confidence that the problem is actually in the server.

To be more specific on my problem, the connector software actually sees the server, it very briefly displays the loading screen with a % loaded dialog box, and then it gives me the error message and the try again later solution.

I wish I could post a screen shot, but I thought there were more people familiar with this error message, evidently it's not that common.

Steve
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:06 AM
  • Wilky5187 said:

Thanks for the help Olaf.
    I am now able to see the Server on my network, but I still can't get connector to get passed the opening page.

It has an IP assigned from the router. My client is connected through my wireless adapter.

I have tried wiring my laptop to the router AND disconnecting the internet cable as another thread had tried. It didn't work for me.

I can now go to an opening page on my server which tells me a little info about it and then two options to get started:

1) install connector on my laptop and configure it that way, which we know doesn't work, but I tried it again anyway and got the same message.

2) goto a web page that is listed as                 "On a home computer, browse to http://SERVER:55000/, and then follow the instructions on that page"
    when I follow that link I get a page with three options. The first option is to download and install the connector software (I assume directly from the server), but I get a HTTP error 404, page not found.
    The other option is to download the toolkit and the third option is to contact customer support.

The manufacturer of the server sent me an email with some suggestions, but they were very simple and nothing I hadn't tried, except for one microsoft FAQ about the same problem I am having and all it said was to disable or bypass the proxy server on my internet explorer options page. I am not using the proxy server, so that was no good.

Maybe I don't fully understand what you are saying about connecting to the same switch with a cable. If it's not as I described above, I will be happy to try that again, as I don't have any more ideas.

Thanks,
    Steve

Basically, what Olaf is suggesting is plugging both the server and the client into a switch (that is not a router) and allowing each computer to assign itself an IP address by using Automatic Private IP Addressing.  APIPA is used when a computer is configured to receive an IP address from a DHCP server, but it can't find a DHCP server to give it an address.  Each machine should then assign itself an IP address of 169.254.x.x.

However, since you can now see your server in your LAN, before you try Olaf's suggestion, can you now try pinging your server, both by name and by IP address?
    Friday, November 7, 2008 2:35 AM
  • Since this is a brand new machine without any data, maybe you also could try the procedure outlined in the manual to perform a factory reset of the installation.
    Sometimes this way is better than trying to fixed an already damaged or misconfigured system.
    Olaf
    Friday, November 7, 2008 8:40 AM