Sharing Data RRS feed

• Question

• In Ori Amiga's video he describes writing services against a localhost MOE, therefore reducing the need to access data on the wire/clouds (i.e. any local changes would be synchronised with the each device). Could this data be a SQL Server database (i.e. an MDF file) - e.g. the SQL Server Database is the shared file which is then synchronised across multiple devices. If this is correct I'm guessing each device in the circle would require a copy of SQL Server (Express??) installed. Is this the case? Therefore is it is is it fair to say that for each type of file shared the client must have the appropriate appliction installed to open/view it e.g. a word document would require Word or an appropriate viewer?

Sorry if this is the wrong forum to ask these questions - if it is the wrong forum could you point me in the direction of the correct one.

Thanks
    Richie
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 5:59 PM

Answers

• Hi Richie,

Yes, data synchronized could be an MDF file; as far as Mesh is concerned, it's just another file.  Each device that wanted to act upon that file type would need an application installed that could interpret the file.  This is no different from e-mailing files back and forth between machines today.  Note that some applications may not allow or comprehend new files being swapped out from underneath it.

As Black Lab points out though, this isn't very efficient if, in the example of a database file, a single record changes and we must upload the entire file (even if we just upload deltas).  As applications get written which understand the concept of the Mesh, they can take advantage of certain features so that only single records that change get synchronized.  Stay tuned for this developer story.

Hope that helps,
    Richard

Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:50 PM
    Answerer

All replies

• I was thinking exactly the same thing.

Plus, in the SQL server example, would the sync involve uploading the whole .mdf file to the cloud and then downloading to every synched device every time a single record was changed!? Surely there has to be a better way.

Is there a way of getting the performance of DB updates to local data AND getting some kind of optimized delta synch?
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:05 PM
  • Hi Richie,

Yes, data synchronized could be an MDF file; as far as Mesh is concerned, it's just another file.  Each device that wanted to act upon that file type would need an application installed that could interpret the file.  This is no different from e-mailing files back and forth between machines today.  Note that some applications may not allow or comprehend new files being swapped out from underneath it.

As Black Lab points out though, this isn't very efficient if, in the example of a database file, a single record changes and we must upload the entire file (even if we just upload deltas).  As applications get written which understand the concept of the Mesh, they can take advantage of certain features so that only single records that change get synchronized.  Stay tuned for this developer story.

Hope that helps,
    Richard

Richard Chung [ Live Mesh ]
    Wednesday, May 7, 2008 9:50 PM
    Answerer
  • AFAK, no db could operate like that with the file changing directly under it - nor would you want it to imo.  That said, you can accomplish the same thing safely using a data mover agent.  So the agent (e.g. plugin) gets transaction updates from the Mesh and writes them (as just another db client) to the db.  That way, you use the standard db apis to CRUD and db is synced.  Things like Outlook contacts and mail could use the same pattern.

Cheers
    William
    Friday, May 9, 2008 12:38 AM