change hardware RRS feed

• Question

• I wish to build en new WHS (faster pc). Therfore:
    how can I put my shares to that new WHS computer, without to rebuild all the shares?
    Please help me!

thanks in advance

wim

awbz@freeler.nl

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 4:09 PM

All replies

• Take your drive(s) from old WHS and put them in the new WHS, perform a reinstall of the WHS OS and it will reconnect everything as it was, then replace the drives in the pool one at a time using the wizard, it's a lengthy process but will result in no data loss that way.

wim1958 wrote:

I wish to build en new WHS (faster pc). Therfore:
    how can I put my shares to that new WHS computer, without to rebuild all the shares?
    Please help me!

thanks in advance

wim

awbz@freeler.nl

Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:10 PM
  • You should be able to:
    • Take all the drives out of your current Windows Home Server PC.
    • Put them in your new PC, connected the same way (so that your system drive is the first drive the BIOS will see).
    • Boot from the installation DVD.
    • If needed, supply storage drivers so that setup will see all of your hard drives. If you're given the option to keep these drivers for use later in setup, you should choose to do so.
    • On the screen where you're asked what you want to do you should now see the option to perform a server reinstallation; it should be the default choice at this point. Choose server reinstallation.
    • If you had to supply drivers, you may need to supply them again at the start of text mode setup, which is after the first reboot. Wait for the "Press F6" prompt and insert an "F6 floppy". There should be instructions in how to prepare one with your motherboard/other storage controller. Unfortunately if you need to supply drivers in text mode setup you must use a floppy disk.
    • Proceed the rest of the way through setup; your shares and files should be preserved.
    If you don't have the "server reinstallation" option, then don't proceed past that screen. You'll have to recover your shares in a different fashion:
    • Disconnect power from all but your system drive.
    • Install Windows Home Server.
    • Connect one drive, but don't add it to the storage pool yet.
    • Copy all the files off that drive to your shares. Your files will be in <driveletter>:\DE\Shares\etc.
    • Add the drive to the storage pool.
    • Wait, probably quite a while, for Windows Home Server to move most of the files off your system drive.
    • Continue with the next disk...
    Tuesday, May 6, 2008 5:31 PM