cost of 120 evaluation software RRS feed

• Question

• What might today's cost be of my 120 eval copy be when I decide to buy it. I see NewEgg has it for $99. If I think Microsofts is too high is it a headache to reinstall the Newegg copy. Why can't I buy the Newegg copy and simply type in the key of the purchased copy? 
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 10:53 PM

Answers

• The current street price for a system builder package of windows home Server is approximately $99. this is available from a number of vendors, including NewEgg, Amazon, etc. That is the full software, not an evaluation version. The evaluation version is available directly from Microsoft for the cost of the media and shipping (about $10).

As for why you can't type a new product key it for your evaluation software, there's a time bomb built into the operating system which progressively disables it after 120 days. That time bomb isn't tied to the product key.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill843 Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:57 AM
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:43 PM

All replies

• The current street price for a system builder package of windows home Server is approximately $99. this is available from a number of vendors, including NewEgg, Amazon, etc. That is the full software, not an evaluation version. The evaluation version is available directly from Microsoft for the cost of the media and shipping (about $10).

As for why you can't type a new product key it for your evaluation software, there's a time bomb built into the operating system which progressively disables it after 120 days. That time bomb isn't tied to the product key.
    • Proposed as answer by Ken WarrenModerator Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:43 PM
    • Marked as answer by Bill843 Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:57 AM
    Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:43 PM
  • Ken Warren said:

The current street price for a system builder package of windows home Server is approximately $99. this is available from a number of vendors, including NewEgg, Amazon, etc. That is the full software, not an evaluation version. The evaluation version is available directly from Microsoft for the cost of the media and shipping (about $10).

Ken,

I believe the 120-day eval is still completely free (no shipping charges).

Ken Warren said:

Sunday, November 23, 2008 12:50 AM