none
Core reservation in MS HPC 2008 R2

Question

• Hi,

There's one unanswered question and would like know better details.

I'm doing a setup of Microsoft Windows HPC 2008 R2 for one of my customer and the requirement as follows.

The setup is very simple consist of Four Workstation nodes (windows 7) and one Head node (MS Windows HPC 2008 R2).

All the nodes are having 12 cores (2 sockets 6 cores each). So while submitting any job, the workstations should allow to run jobs only in 10 cores. 

My intention is when I see the number of processors from the task manager I should be able to see all 12 cores and when submitting the job from MS job scheduler it should limit the job to 10 cores only. 

I found that in all Linux based schedulers it's possible to do it by just modifying the queue.

Is there a way to achieve this? Please help it's urgent.

Monday, March 07, 2011 5:42 AM

All replies

• I've been waiting for the response from the forum. very disappointing.

Subsequent to the above query, one more requirement is there. If an application wants to use few number of cores from each of the node will MS job scheduler support it? If so how to configure it?

Wednesday, March 09, 2011 12:01 PM
  • If you are trying to schedule a job to use 4 nodes and that in each of the nodes only 10 cores out of 12 are used, then AFAIK, there is no way to do this with the HPC Scheduler - hopefully someone will be able to prove me wrong.

Thursday, March 10, 2011 1:46 PM
  • Hi,

Not sure about what you want :

1. Limit all the job to a max of 10 core
    2. Use only 10 core on the WN in order to let 2 core for the OS and the interactive task

So, here are my answers :

1. Use the job template : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919693(WS.10).aspx
    2. Right now when a WN is "ONLINE" the job scheduler will use all of his cores ! But this will change in the coming month, see your MS HPC contact for more info on that!
      But until this come, there is a trick :  on each WN submit a "dummy job" (a job asking for 2 cores with a cmd line="hostname" AND set the option "Run job until cancelled or run time expire" see "Run until canceled" on http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff919649(WS.10).aspx), then from the job scheduler point of view the WN will have only 10 left core that can be used by other job.

Here is a example of such a job :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <Job Version="3.000" Id="781" State="Configuring" CreateTime="3/11/2011 9:54:25 AM" Name="dummy job" RunUntilCanceled="true" UnitType="Core" Owner="CONTOSO\user" UserName="" Project="" JobType="Batch" JobTemplate="Default" Priority="Normal" RequestedNodes="Workstation1" OrderBy="" RequeueCount="0" AutoRequeueCount="0" PendingReason="None" AutoCalculateMax="true" AutoCalculateMin="true" Progress="0" ProgressMessage="" NotifyOnStart="false" NotifyOnCompletion="false" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/HPCS2008R2/scheduler/">
        <Dependencies />
        <Tasks>
            <Task Version="3.000" Id="7916" ParentJobId="781" State="Configuring" UnitType="Core" NiceId="1" CommandLine="hostname" RequeueCount="0" PendingReason="None" StartValue="0" EndValue="0" IncrementValue="1" GroupId="785" CreateTime="3/11/2011 10:04:11 AM" Name="dummy task" MinCores="2" MaxCores="2" AutoRequeueCount="0" Type="Basic" FailJobOnFailure="false" />
        </Tasks>
    </Job>

Hope that help !

• Proposed as answer by Zhen WEI MSFT Saturday, March 12, 2011 2:34 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 10:08 AM
  • Tom,

Thanks for the inputs. It's a good work around. Let me try to check this and come back to you.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 7:02 AM