Install doesn't get past "setup is initializing" page. RRS feed

• Question

• Trying to install WHS evaluation, but the install never get past the "setup is initializing" page.  That page remains on the screen and the activity boxes tick across the screen and then start over; never stopping.  Same install disk works fine in VMware on a different PC.

Trying to install on a LanParty UT NF3 250GB motherboard using AMD Athlon 64 3200+ with 2GB RAM and nVidia 6800GT video card.  Installing from USB CD drive.  System works great with WinXP.

Tried installing to both IDE and SATA drives.  Drives are > 100GB in size.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.
    • Edited by sbeans Monday, April 20, 2009 8:23 AM Update title.
    Monday, April 20, 2009 8:19 AM

Answers

• Try using an IDE or SATA DVD drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by sbeans Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:35 AM
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:49 AM
  • If you have a Vista DVD, how far the process goes here? (since the initial screen is based in Vista PE)

You don't mean a CD drive, since the medium is a DVD, or do you? USB drives are not the first choice for the installation, if you could mount the drive temporary to an internal board, this could be helpful.

Try to reset the Bios to default values and upgrade with the latest available version.

Also what disk configuration do you have?
    If SATA disks, you could try to change the compatibility settings of the controller to IDE (ATA/PATA).

The video adapter seems a bit overdimensioned for a server OS, on which you should not even have interaction with the local desktop after finishing the installation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:50 AM

All replies

• Try using an IDE or SATA DVD drive.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:49 AM
  • If you have a Vista DVD, how far the process goes here? (since the initial screen is based in Vista PE)

You don't mean a CD drive, since the medium is a DVD, or do you? USB drives are not the first choice for the installation, if you could mount the drive temporary to an internal board, this could be helpful.

Try to reset the Bios to default values and upgrade with the latest available version.

Also what disk configuration do you have?
    If SATA disks, you could try to change the compatibility settings of the controller to IDE (ATA/PATA).

The video adapter seems a bit overdimensioned for a server OS, on which you should not even have interaction with the local desktop after finishing the installation.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, April 20, 2009 11:50 AM
  • Thanks Ken & Olaf.  I attached the DVD drive internally and it got past the "setup is initializing" section for the first time.  I stopped it there as I don't have time to complete the install tonight, but I think you've helped me past my first hurdle.  I didn't think the USB drive was the problem since it got a good start on the install while using it in USB mode.

Olaf - Yes, the video card is a bit much, but I think it is the only one I have sitting around.  For a month or two it was one of the top gaming cards and cost me a pretty penny back in 2004.  But the way nVidia and ATI release cards, it became obsolete for gaming very quickly.  I should probably take it out once everything is up & running in order to save energy.

Thanks again.  I was about ready to buy a new motherboard, processor, & memory.
    Tuesday, April 21, 2009 7:49 AM