How many load-balancers? RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings,

I am finishing up a build out of a OCS 2007 R2 environment. I am running into an issue with the number of load-balancers we have in production. Currently we only have two and from what I have read it looks like I will need three. We have a F5's in place for the external users to the edge server's and Cisco ACE in place for the internal users to the Front-Ends and the Edge to the Front-Ends. What we dont have is anything in from the Front-End servers to the Edge Servers. Is this absolutely neccesary. It seems like it might work but all the documentation I have read includes load-balancing on 3 different sides. I am considering using the for Front-End to Edge LB but I am not sure we can secure that traffic with a firewall.

Any suggestions or comments?

Ian
    Monday, June 29, 2009 6:05 PM

All replies

• Hi

You need three loadbalancers.

One for balancing the internal pool ( The load balancer will handle direct user access, other server roles and  the internal  Edge load balancer if you have multiple Edge Servers).

One for balancing the internal Edge Interfaces in the communication with the internal pool (since the internal pool hits the fqdn of the Virtual IP-adress for the internal NIC´s).

One for balancing the external Edge interfaces.

/T

Tuesday, June 30, 2009 6:36 AM