Added Storage RRS feed

• Question

• The one issue I have is with adding new storage and having to format it.  I know this has been brought up before, but I would to put forward another suggestion:

When adding a new device, would be possible to just add the free space, then you can move the data onto the new combined space. So as space comes free on the newly added device, the remainder of the free space then gets incorporated into the pool.  Once you have moved all the data from the device into the pool, the whole drive is then sonsumed into the pool.

Thanks

JiX

Saturday, February 24, 2007 8:54 AM

All replies

• It's already possible to do this manually, If I recall correctly. I can't find it right now, but I remember seeing a post that plugging in a drive that contains data will initially show that drive as it's own drive letter in Explorer on the WHS system. So you could:
    1. Remote desktop to the WHS
    2. Plug in the drive
    3. Wait for WHS to recognize the drive and show it as a drive letter (probably E:) in Explorer
    4. copy data from the drive to the shares on the WHS. (I.e. \\server\Music\ or whatever.) You shouldn't copy direct to folders on D: because you're likely to confuse Drive Extender (the technology that manages your storage pool and deals with data duplication)
    5. Once the copy is done, you can add the drive to the storage pool through the WHS Console.
    I don't think it would be possible to automate the process, because it involves intelligent decisions about where the data should go.

--
    Ken
    Saturday, February 24, 2007 1:12 PM
  • Hi thanks for the reply.  That is essentially what I have done.  However the post was more around if my current disk is full and I want to add more, lets say my external usb caddy, I do not have to backup or move the data somewhere else before integrating it into the storage pool.  It will automagically integrate the free storage space on the caddy into the pool, then I can shuffle data around at a later stage. i.e.

1. Plug drive in 100GB disk in with 50GB used and 50GB free

2. It gets assigned a drive letter (E:).

3. Users gets prompted if I wish to merge the free space (50GB free) into the storage pool

4. I retain the E: with 50GB used sotrage and the remainder 50GB is in the pool.  This lets me remove the drive at any time and still retain the 50GB worth of used data

5. I would need to remove the drive properly and the integrated 50GB would need to be move to the other disks in the storage pool before I can remove it.  Or I can use the E: to sstore items I do not want other users on the network to see or use (being an IT geek) and I can the allocate the other 50GB to the other home users.

What this allows me to achive is to reuse disks without having to do alot of manual copying of data around initially.  As I free up space on the 50GB I have used initially, I can then slowly integrate that into the storage pool until such time as the entire disk is consumed. 

Hope this makes sense.

Thanks

JiX

Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:50 PM
  • Ah! I see what you're looking for. Yes, I think that would be useful as well. (Of course, I'm a guy who is comfortable adding services to my WHS. It would be complicated to explain to Joe the Excel jockey in a way he would understand, don't you think?)

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Microsoft's answer is something along the lines of "That's a good idea, but it won't make it into the initial release of the product, because it's complex to implement." 

--
    Ken
    Sunday, February 25, 2007 12:07 AM