After server restoration, WHS connector doesn't show "Shared Folders" tab. RRS feed

• Question

• Sorry if this has been asked before, but I've searched and not found anything.  I had a hard drive take a crap on me and in my attempts to troubleshoot the problem, I restored the home server.  It works now, I can remote in, use the connector, access files on the server through the shared folders on server icon on my desktop, but the windows home server connector no longer has the shared folders tab at the top.  I have restored the server once again once everything was working correctly to no avail.  I don't really have the hard drive space to back up the entire server to external drives currently, so I don't know if a complete format will fix it or not.  
    Thursday, August 25, 2011 7:56 PM

Answers

• looks like i answered all my own questions this time around - so here's the solution to both problems i was having in case anyone else has the same issue.

1.  shared folders tab not showing up - checked the registry and found the sharing value was listed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList  I deleted this entry from that folder after making a registry backup and the tab re-appeared.  source for this fix is here.

2.  the reason my server was acting the way it was (not booting with drives plugged in, crashing when booted without drives in and then plugged in later) is (i am pretty sure) due to an at least partial HDD failure.  i have removed the drive and am currently running chkdsk /f /r from a different computer (in an esata enclosure of course, want this done before i retire).  

thanks for all who helped.

• Marked as answer by jarhead930 Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:12 AM

All replies

• ok, so i guess this was either a really stupid question or a really hard one :D
    Monday, August 29, 2011 2:49 PM
  • Have you tried reinstalling the connector on one of your clients?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, August 29, 2011 3:01 PM
  • Yes, that was actually the first thing I did, assuming the connector was the problem (still am).  I have done this so far from two different computers.  One, my main desktop I did when I restored the server (and later, restored it again), and two, one of the laptops in the house.  The laptop I installed the connector software by going to /software and pulling the connector software from the folder there.  I have also re-installed the connector software using the .iso from microsoft to ensure I had the latest version, but this didn't work either.  

Thanks for your help, it was your posts that enabled me to get my server recovered without any data loss before this.

Thursday, September 1, 2011 3:47 PM
  • You can try another restore. This time, before you begin, wipe the system partition on the system drive completely. Setup should rebuild the storage pool from the drives that are attached, which will take a good while (I think it's around 8-12 hours/TB).

Failing that, you can rebuild your server by installing from scratch on a new (large) drive, then connect your old drives one by one, copy data from <drive>:\DE\Shares\etc., then add the newly connected drive to server storage. Don't connect your old system drive to your new installation, however. (Other drives are fine, and you'll be able to copy data somewhat faster.) Do that on another computer, and copy from the larger partition (same location) to your server's shares.

You sound like you've had other issues, though, which have resulted in more than one server recovery? Is it a hardware problem? Time to upgrade?

Thursday, September 1, 2011 6:25 PM
  • Both excellent ideas, thank you.  The server in question is an Aspire H340, so yes, it is most certainly time to upgrade, but if I could afford to do that, I could also, of course, afford to back up all my data to external drives.  Any suggestion on how to wipe the system partition entirely on a headless server?  Or simply take the system drive out and wipe it from an external enclosure on my desktop?  

I don't think there is a hardware problem, other than being atom based, it was definitely the drive that failed, and me restoring it previously was more of a failed troubleshooting effort.  

Thursday, September 1, 2011 7:21 PM
  • ... Or simply take the system drive out and wipe it from an external enclosure on my desktop? ...
    This, though I use a USB bridge device that lets me connect a bare drive...

Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:03 PM
  • Awesome, thank you, I will do this and report back how it worked.
    Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:25 PM
  • Sorry for the (extremely) long delay in getting back to you.

I tried what you said, formatted the sys partition on the main drive, and was able to at least begin the recovery procedure.  The acer software appears to install correctly, and then prompts to reboot. After rebooting, the server will having a flashing blue "i" light, as opposed to red (recovery mode), with the HDD light staying solid for 5-10 seconds.  However, the network light does not come on, and the device is not on the network (at least by an IP scan).  

Have I done something wrong?

Thanks again for your help, and sorry again for the delay.

Friday, November 4, 2011 4:04 AM
  • update - i have gotten network connectivity, by booting once into recovery mode, and attempting the install console.  at this point i have the same nearly solid HDD light and flashing blue i light.  i remember earlier that you mentioned it could take 8-12 hours per tb?  could that be what its doing now?
    Friday, November 4, 2011 7:53 AM
  • no change from before leaving server.  No drive lights are on, which i forgot to mention before.  I can get her to boot if i pull out all drives but the OS drive, with a purple i light and purple drive light.  plugging all the drives back in gives me solid purple drive lights for each, but no dice otherwise.  obviously, the database has issues, and thus i cannot install the connector software.  any help you guys can offer is much appreciated.
    Sunday, November 6, 2011 3:52 AM
  • looks like i answered all my own questions this time around - so here's the solution to both problems i was having in case anyone else has the same issue.

1.  shared folders tab not showing up - checked the registry and found the sharing value was listed under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Home Server\HomeServerConsole\BlockedDllList  I deleted this entry from that folder after making a registry backup and the tab re-appeared.  source for this fix is here.

2.  the reason my server was acting the way it was (not booting with drives plugged in, crashing when booted without drives in and then plugged in later) is (i am pretty sure) due to an at least partial HDD failure.  i have removed the drive and am currently running chkdsk /f /r from a different computer (in an esata enclosure of course, want this done before i retire).  

thanks for all who helped.

• Marked as answer by jarhead930 Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:12 AM
    Wednesday, November 9, 2011 6:12 AM