Do I need a firewall if my router has one built-in RRS feed

• Question

• why do I need to use the firewall that comes with OneCare if my router has a built-in firewall?  Isn't that going to slow things down and cause problems?  Also, if I don't need the firewall turned on then how do I get the OneCare igon to go green so that it isn't always trying to tell me to turn on the firewall that I have disabled on purpose?

Saturday, November 29, 2008 11:38 PM

Answers

• Yes, you still need the OneCare firewall as it cannot be disabled unless you wish to see OneCare in red status. OneCare is not a mix-and-match solution and all parts need to be enabled for it to be in green status.

There is no conflict with the router's firewall since it is external and hardware based.

-steve
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:50 PM

All replies

• Yes, you still need the OneCare firewall as it cannot be disabled unless you wish to see OneCare in red status. OneCare is not a mix-and-match solution and all parts need to be enabled for it to be in green status.

There is no conflict with the router's firewall since it is external and hardware based.

-steve
    Sunday, November 30, 2008 7:50 PM
  • Help and Support says that if two or more firwalls are running there may be a conflict. So which one is the most important? Windows firewall or OneCare firewall? When ever I hook up wireless under the security tab Of Vista Premium the firewall starts up being ON but after about two page changes of surfing the firewall turns off. Is that windows that turns off ,and or is OneCare still on?  I can manually turn it back on but is this normal?   help...confused here.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 5:54 PM
  • With OneCare installed, the Windows Firewall should be off.

I don't know where you are seeing the firewall off, but if you are getting a prompt from the Windows Security Center and OneCare is in green status, see this post: 

Windows Security Center fix - http://social.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/onecarefirewall/thread/c0ca9eb2-14b0-4591-be85-4b7fd1700191/

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Monday, January 19, 2009 6:47 PM
  • will try the suggestions ... thanks for the clarification here.
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:13 PM