No validation after repair RRS feed

• Question

•  

First off I am not tech oriented and know very little about this stuff. I am not a computer tech I am only a computer user who only knows how to use half the stuff but nothing about how to fix it.

I have been trying to update Windows but it will not let me because my computer will no longer validate.

The COA says

Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005

Gateway

It has a product key on the same tag that is different from the one all the validation stuff I have gone through says I have.

Yes I recently took my computer in for repair because of a virus that Windows, Norton and every other virus protection that I have in place could not handle. The repair place told me it was a very bad virus.

When I took the computer in for repair I informed them that I needed to save the documents if at all possible because I have important information in them.

When I get my computer back I am very happy to see that all of my programs are still in place and all of my documents are there. I think this is wonderful and I am more than happy to pay what is a very reasonable bill.

A few days pass and I go to update Windows. I have updated Windows countless times since I originally bought the computer but this time it is different…it will not validate. I run through all the validation junk and find that the last digits (the only ones shown to me) are different than the ones on the COA that is on the back of my computer. I have X’d out the first 20 digits of the product key I entered for posting it here.

The product key you entered:

The product key found on your PC:

Match:

Product Key:

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-P6K88

*****-*****-*****-*****-J4JTM

No

Operating System:

Windows XP Other

Windows XP Other

Yes

License Type:

Other

Other

Yes

I read where I can purchase for a mere $149 a Windows Genuine Advantage Kit…well that is for Windows XP professional and I have Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 but wait…there are other options…I could move up to Windows Vista or buy a new computer with it already installed…WOW…there is more…I could buy Windows XP from a retailer.

In other words I could pay for something I have already paid for.

I continue on going through all the validation advisor stuff and everything suggested in the MGA diagnostic and that gets me nowhere. This is my results from that…

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0066.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Invalid Product Key

Validation Code: 8

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM

Windows Product Key Hash: W9oNvBRsiyuwnnUS3Z41cRuAWcM=

Windows Product ID: 76487-365-6725323-22209

Windows Product ID Type: 5

Windows License Type: Retail

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

ID: {19C3C294-137B-4C99-8574-0115D1CA5B49}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Resolution Status: N/A

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: 8

File Exists: Yes

Version: 1.7.18.7

WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 100 Genuine

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{19C3C294-137B-4C99-8574-0115D1CA5B49}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0066.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.med</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-J4JTM</PKey><PID>76487-365-6725323-22209</PID><PIDType>5</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1606980848-573735546-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Gateway                         </Manufacturer><Model>838GM                           </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Intel Corp.</Manufacturer><Version>AG91510J.15A.0816.2005.0214.1818</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20050214000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>CA3D38570184407D</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>US Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData>              <Software><Office><Result>100</Result><Products><Product GUID="{901A0409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Outlook 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>395E120FB894DEE</Val><Hash>QDB92E/agziQSD0y7odqinS4/UE=</Hash><Pid>70173-759-4313201-55550</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Now let the venting begin…

So I call the computer repair place and they tell me they had to use some Windows program disc thing they have in order to save the information and additional programs that I have on my computer and that if they had used the recovery CD/DVD that came with my computer I would have went back to square one with my computer. I am very thankful they were able to save all the stuff they did.

They tell me my options are to either use the recovery CD that will set me back to square one of which will cost me nothing except the loss of all my documents and any programs that I had installed when I bought the computer (I have lost some of the discs). Another option would be to buy a new Windows CD and still run the risk of losing everything.

What I do not understand is why should I have to pay AGAIN in order to have my computer validate? This does not make sense to me. I take my Gateway computer in for repair. This computer that came with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 that I bought from CompUSA (they just closed their last store here) and had them install programs and additional memory on it when I bought it for a total price that was very pretty. When I get my computer back all the programs that it came with are there. All of my documents are there. All of my email and everything that was on the computer before I took it in is still there and it is now running properly again. So tell me why should I have to pay again to have my computer validate? All the programs, WINDOWS INCLUDED, were paid for when I bought the computer. I am sure the Windows program the repair place used was paid for or they are authorized to use it.

If Gateway paid for the program when it was installed on the computer and I paid for the computer when I bought it with Windows installed and the repair place simply fixed my computer and gave it back to me with everything still intact, minus the virus, then what is the problem? Come on and help me out because I simply do not understand why I have to continue to pay for something I ALREADY PAID FOR. Can you tell me why? Can you tell me why I have to lose everything on my computer to have a validated Windows program installed?

I know that eventually I will buy another computer and I will have it loaded up just like I did this one when I bought it (hopefully I will not lose any discs the next time) and that I would not mind doing but I do have a problem when I buy a computer and in essence all the programs that came with it then I have to pay again for the same computer.

Yes I know I could back everything up and save it on discs or whatever and then run the recovery CD and hopefully I would be able to install all the additional programs that were saved onto a disc and I would still have my documents saved on the disc (which I have done now and will from this day forward as far as the documents go) but the programs I don’t know how to go about saving them onto a disc or even if I could but that is beside the point…the point is why should I have to? The computer repair place was able to save it all for me. The only problem is…I cannot update because Windows will not validate!!!

To me this is just wrong because everything on my computer was paid for when I bought it and I should not have to pay another penny to be able to keep it on this computer. I understand there are pirated copies of Windows out there and this is one way to minimize that but when a person has a computer that is completely paid for and it came from a manufacturer with Windows installed on it then why should that person have to pay again for something that was already paid for? I will go buy a Mac before I pay twice for something I already paid for.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 2:26 AM

Answers

• Tom in AZ,

Media Center is a different animal, and I will be THE most surprised person in the Western Hemisphere if you succeed in doing a repair reinstallation or upgrade to XP Pro from Media Center.

The solution is:

1.  Backup your data.  With the inexpensive external hard disk drives, flash drives, and online backup options availabe, there's no excuse anymore to get caught "with your pants down" like this ever again.

2.  Gather whatever documentation you have including screen shots of the Help>About screen for the programs for which you lost the CDs.  Perhaps contact the customer support for each of these to see if registration IDs/product keys/installation IDs can be preserved to aid in the reinstallation of these programs if the customer support people can send you replacement CDs.

3.  Now, run the Recovery CD (or use the installed recovery partition) to put your laptop back the way it was when it came from the factory.

4.  Reinstall programs, get updates, etc etc.

5.  Finally, the single best thing you can do to protect your computer and your data and your sanity, DO NOT do daily computing tasks (email, surf,  generate documents/spreadsheets/etc, music, pix, etc) using a Computer Administrator account.  Instead use a Limited User account for routine stuff and only log on with a Computer Administrator account when the task at hand requires it, then when the task is done, log off and go back to the Limited User.  Since the Limited User cannot make systemwide changes to the computer, any virus that invades while you are working as a Limited User is likewise limited in the damage it can do.

Monday, December 31, 2007 1:18 AM
  • Tom,

Do you have more than one hard drive installed to your system, CD or DVD Burner, or external hard drive?  These ways are your best alternative for backing up ALL data. I recommend to either have two hard drives or an external hard drive installed. In turn if anything goes aria then all which is required is reformatting the hard drive containing the Operating System. Also if you have all data on an external drive that allows you to store this off site if you are dealing with critical information. 

Next I recommend for you to contact the Gateway Technicial Support @ 800-369-1409 and explain your situation.  Next you need to ask how much can you purchase the recovery media for your particular model system.  Here is their contact information below but since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity:

http://www.gateway.com/about/contactus/index.php

http://support.gateway.com/s/software/medialess/faq/suppage01su44.shtml

We would really like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include the following information: 

- Your product key for (Office or Windows),  

-  Business location where purchased

-  Address

-  Phone number

-  Point of Contact @ the Business (if you had any)

-  If purchased on the internet please provide the website

-  What alias was the individual using online?

-  Provide us with your email address, telephone number and/or Cell number so we reach  you. 

Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after any changes you may have made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  I will work with you and provide this information you provide to my supervisor.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:27 PM

All replies

•  

I am in the same boat bought a legit copy of xp pro installed on 1 computer went to update 2 others and am now locked out of them completly... was told by microsoft copy I purchased has no warrenty and I need to purchase 2 more copies of xp pro for me other computers at 199. plus tx or buy 2 licences at 199.99 each plus tx ... Does any one know How I can remove the activate windows screen and help me access my files...I have lost all faith in microsoft after beeing sworn at by their reps. and beingg hung up on 7 times called 5 different 1800 numbers and no help enless I pay them...
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:01 PM
  •  d1l1 wrote:

I am in the same boat bought a legit copy of xp pro installed on 1 computer went to update 2 others and am now locked out of them completly... was told by microsoft copy I purchased has no warrenty and I need to purchase 2 more copies of xp pro for me other computers at 199. plus tx or buy 2 licences at 199.99 each plus tx ... Does any one know How I can remove the activate windows screen and help me access my files...I have lost all faith in microsoft after beeing sworn at by their reps. and beingg hung up on 7 times called 5 different 1800 numbers and no help enless I pay them...

I totally understand what you are saying. It is sad when you spend your hard earned money to buy something then you are told by the company that made it..."You can't use that anymore". But you should be able to use at least one of the computers since you have one legit copy.

It just does not make sense to me even though I understand why Microsoft implemented the Genuine Advantage and Validation process in order to reduce piracy of their software and software counterfeiting. However this does not explain to me why someone who purchased a computer with a valid windows program has to pay again in order to get updates. If they want to continue using this Genuine Advantage and Validation process then there should be something in place for people who take their computers in for repair especially when that computer came with a valid and genuine Windows program installed on it. I am sure there are people who have lost thousands of dollars worth of information that was on their computers because they had to use the recovery CD but will Microsoft or the computer manufacturer pay for the loss of that information? No way in hell. I am sure there are many people who have taken their computers in for repair and spent hundreds of dollars getting it fixed only to have to turn around and spend hundreds more in order to V A L I D A T E and to me that is highway robbery and totally wrong. Sure the person my no longer have the exact same product key but they still have the same program…a program that was already paid for when the computer was purchased from a reputable manufacturer and a reputable store. I cannot understand why I should have to pay another $149 (for the WGA Kit which will not work for me because I am not running the professional edition) to $3,000 (for a computer system with all the same programs intact) or why I should have to use a recovery CD and lose programs that I have lost the discs for or have to buy those programs again. Sorry but in my opinion this is just not right especially when the only difference between my computer now and when I took it in for repair is that it no longer has the virus. Everything else is the same.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 7:47 PM
  •  d1l1 wrote:

well I am done with Microsoft I beileive... time for a MAC!!! and maybe a couple of lawsuits

That Mac is looking better all the time especially when I can't get anyone at Microsoft to talk to me and it seems that nobody has a satisfactory answer to this situation.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:05 PM
  • Take a look at this:  http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS242US242&q=9MT6X%2dPGKC8%2dJ4JTM

The product key displayed in your MGA report (9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM) is indeed non-genuine.  If you desire to maintain all your programs, then acquiring the WGA kit is the best solution so you can simply change the current non-genuine product key to a genuine product key.  The WGA kit costs significantly less than any Mac.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 8:48 PM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

Take a look at this:  http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADBF_enUS242US242&q=9MT6X%2dPGKC8%2dJ4JTM

The product key displayed in your MGA report (9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM) is indeed non-genuine.  If you desire to maintain all your programs, then acquiring the WGA kit is the best solution so you can simply change the current non-genuine product key to a genuine product key.  The WGA kit costs significantly less than any Mac.

Carey,

I thank you very much for the response and the information. It is very much appreciated and that is the honest truth. I apologize because I really do not understand the Google search you posted with all the 9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM key codes. Like I said in my original post…I am not a techie person but I do like math and the key codes are 25 digits long using both letters and numbers and with 15 of those displayed that leaves 10 hidden and that leaves a possible 3,656,158,440,062,976 other key codes having those same 15 digits that were displayed.

If you would excuse me while I do a little minor venting I would appreciate it. This is not directed toward you because I know you and all the other wonderful people here are only trying to help.

I do not doubt that it is an invalid key code but I see nothing in the diagnostic that says it is not genuine but again I am no techie and from my perspective that is beside the point.

The point being why should I have to pay the $149 I would spend for the MGA kit when I have a valid key code on the back of my computer testifying to the fact that when I bought this computer it was genuine and valid. Also if I were to pay the $149 would that money be well spent because I am running Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and the page showing the MGA kit says it is for Windows XP Professional.

Windows Genuine Advantage Kit

(for Windows XP Professional)

Get genuine for a special low price (this should say "if you built your own computer and did not use Genuine Mircosoft products then get genuine at a special LOW PRICE" instead of trying to stick it to people who already paid)

With this offer, you can get genuine with the Windows Genuine Advantage Kit (for Windows XP Professional) for only $149. Compare this to the suggested price of $299 for the retail boxed version of Windows XP Professional.

Convert to genuine Windows now

When you purchase the WGA Kit, Microsoft displays your new Windows product key and a link to the online conversion tool on the order confirmation page. Use them to convert your computer to genuine Windows right away without re-installing.

And get a CD later

For your convenience, Microsoft will send you a new Windows XP CD for future use (see the Order Support page for shipping information). You’ll also get a follow-up email from service@microsoft.com with a copy of your new product key and the online conversion tool link (learn more about the conversion tool scan).

When I check to see if I qualify for a complimentary kit it tells me…

The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP is currently only available to users of known invalid Product Keys for Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home.

To me this is just not right. It should be available to all who have known valid key codes such as the valid key code that is on the back of my computer.

End of minor venting.

Question…Would I still be able to use the MGA kit and maintain all existing programs on my computer even the ones I lost my discs for?

Yes it would cost less than buying a Mac but at least I would not be paying Microsoft again for something I already paid for.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:37 PM
  • Tom in AZ,

Your problem is not that WGA is forcing you to buy another copy/license for XP.  As you say, you ALREADY bought and paid for XP.  The real problem is a combination of:

a.  Your data is not backed up to another storage location.  Data that's not backed up is already lost, you're just waiting for the formality of a virus attack, hard disk crash, etc.

b.  Your repair shop used a non-Genuine hacked and cracked copy of XP Media Center to do a repair reinstallation in order to save your data and your installed programs, the CDs for which you lost.

Just search the forum for the PK *****-*****-9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM  and you will see many many posts with this exact invalid key.  This is a commonly pirated Frankenstein combination of a retail copy of XP with the Media Center components grafted onto it, available for download on the internet.  Personally, I question the decision of the shop to use this hacked and cracked copy of XP "Media Center."  The SHOP is the problem, THEY used this non-Genuine copy to repair your computer.  They probably felt the "pressure" from you to save your data and preserve the installed programs for which you LOST the CDs.

Here's what SHOULD have happened:

1.  You should have had your valuable data backed up.

2.  You should not have lost your CDs.

3.  The shop should have used an offline Operating System (such as BartPE) to start the computer and rescue your data.  It would have been unreasonable to expect them to recover your programs for which you lost the CDs because it is very difficult if not impossible to "extract" programs in that manner, but in 99% of cases where the HDD is not crashed, data can be saved.

4.  Once they had removed your data, the shop should have used your Gateway recovery CDs to do a fresh, Genuine installation of XP Media Center onto the computer.

5.  The above tasks would easily take a minimum of 4 hours of tech time to accomplish, maybe 5 to 6 depending upon how much data you had and how disorganized it was stored on the disk.

You said the shop charged you a "reasonable" fee, but I don't think you were well-served.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:39 PM
  • Question:  Would I still be able to use the MGA kit and maintain all existing programs on my computer even the ones I lost my discs for?

Answer:  Yes.  That is precisely why I made the suggestion.  Once you purchase the WGA Kit and receive the new genuine product key for Windows XP Professional, you can then use the Windows Product Key Update Tool to change the product key.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:51 PM
  • Tom in AZ,

Using the WGA Kit for XP Pro would not help your situation in any way.  It is my understanding that neither XP Pro nor XP Home can "upgrade" or "repair" your existing Media Center Edition so therefore it will NOT preserve your installed programs or even your data.  That is why the WGA Kit is not offered for Media Center, or for Tablet Edition for that matter.

Sunday, December 30, 2007 11:54 PM
  •  Dan at IT Associates wrote:

Tom in AZ,

Your problem is not that WGA is forcing you to buy another copy/license for XP.  As you say, you ALREADY bought and paid for XP.  The real problem is a combination of:

a.  Your data is not backed up to another storage location.  Data that's not backed up is already lost, you're just waiting for the formality of a virus attack, hard disk crash, etc.

b.  Your repair shop used a non-Genuine hacked and cracked copy of XP Media Center to do a repair reinstallation in order to save your data and your installed programs, the CDs for which you lost.

Just search the forum for the PK *****-*****-9MT6X-PGKC8-J4JTM  and you will see many many posts with this exact invalid key.  This is a commonly pirated Frankenstein combination of a retail copy of XP with the Media Center components grafted onto it, available for download on the internet.  Personally, I question the decision of the shop to use this hacked and cracked copy of XP "Media Center."  The SHOP is the problem, THEY used this non-Genuine copy to repair your computer.  They probably felt the "pressure" from you to save your data and preserve the installed programs for which you LOST the CDs.

Here's what SHOULD have happened:

1.  You should have had your valuable data backed up.

2.  You should not have lost your CDs.

3.  The shop should have used an offline Operating System (such as BartPE) to start the computer and rescue your data.  It would have been unreasonable to expect them to recover your programs for which you lost the CDs because it is very difficult if not impossible to "extract" programs in that manner, but in 99% of cases where the HDD is not crashed, data can be saved.

4.  Once they had removed your data, the shop should have used your Gateway recovery CDs to do a fresh, Genuine installation of XP Media Center onto the computer.

5.  The above tasks would easily take a minimum of 4 hours of tech time to accomplish, maybe 5 to 6 depending upon how much data you had and how disorganized it was stored on the disk.

You said the shop charged you a "reasonable" fee, but I don't think you were well-served.

Dan,

Thank you for the information about the key code…I still do not understand that because like I told Carey there are still 3,656,158,440,062,976 other possible key codes that could have those same 15 final digits but the diagnostic says it is not a valid key code and that is all we really need to know about that.

Now that I am done venting my frustration (mainly due to my own ignorance of this type stuff) I think I am ready to move on.

Yes…everything you said I should have done is what I should have done and that is what I will be doing from now on but when your job has you moving a lot (thankfully that is not the case anymore) it is hard not to lose things from time to time…or when a kid sticks it in a shredder just to see what will happen.

I agree with you almost 100%…with the exception of pressuring them to preserve my data. I simply took my computer in to them and told them what was happening and asked them to try and save my documents of which they did. If I had known they would do what they did I would not have agreed to it and I would have asked them if there was any other way to save my data and keep everything above board. From what you said that was possible and the price for even 10 hours of their time would still have been cheaper than buying a new computer and not much more than it would cost to buy a retail box version of Windows XP and a few other programs that I lost. Now knowing what the shop did I also question it and will be talking to them about it probably in the form of reimbursement for whatever costs it takes to set things right but first I need to call and have the funds stopped. I think I can probably use the information about the key code to help in that regard…along with a copy of the diagnostic.

When I took the computer in I was unable to copy or save any file. My internet connection had been deleted, I could not open up internet explorer at all, task manager showed 19 processes running when normally it showed 47 to 51 depending on what I was doing. Somehow the virus even kicked Norton off the map because it would not open either. How I got this virus I have no idea because I do not visit very many websites and I sure do not visit sites that are reportedly crawling with them and I do not open or respond to email from people I do not know and even the ones I do open go through 2 or 3 virus scans before they get to me.

But that is that and what has happened has happened and nothing said or done now will change any of that.

Now I am going to try what Carey suggested

Thank you all

Monday, December 31, 2007 12:56 AM
  •  Carey Frisch wrote:

Question:  Would I still be able to use the MGA kit and maintain all existing programs on my computer even the ones I lost my discs for?

Answer:  Yes.  That is precisely why I made the suggestion.  Once you purchase the WGA Kit and receive the new genuine product key for Windows XP Professional, you can then use the Windows Product Key Update Tool to change the product key.

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PKUInstructions.aspx

Carey,

I thank you very much for your suggestion but as Dan said...it did not work.

I tried the link you provided and I even called the number and talked to a lady who told me that the kit would not help me since I have Media Center Edition.

I thank you again for trying to help.

Monday, December 31, 2007 1:02 AM
  • Dan, Carey, d1,

I thank all of you for your help and assistance even though it turns out Dan was right about the kit not working for me.

At the moment I am back to being frustrated but oh well...

I think I will go out and buy a bunch of discs and start saving my stuff and then tomorrow I have a phone call to make to a repair shop...if they are open but in the end I am either going to end up with a Mac or a very small repair bill.

If you are interested I will come back and inform you of the results but until then I wish you each a very Happy New Year of which I hope turns out wonderful for each and every one of you.

Thomas

Monday, December 31, 2007 1:15 AM
  • Tom in AZ,

Media Center is a different animal, and I will be THE most surprised person in the Western Hemisphere if you succeed in doing a repair reinstallation or upgrade to XP Pro from Media Center.

The solution is:

1.  Backup your data.  With the inexpensive external hard disk drives, flash drives, and online backup options availabe, there's no excuse anymore to get caught "with your pants down" like this ever again.

2.  Gather whatever documentation you have including screen shots of the Help>About screen for the programs for which you lost the CDs.  Perhaps contact the customer support for each of these to see if registration IDs/product keys/installation IDs can be preserved to aid in the reinstallation of these programs if the customer support people can send you replacement CDs.

3.  Now, run the Recovery CD (or use the installed recovery partition) to put your laptop back the way it was when it came from the factory.

4.  Reinstall programs, get updates, etc etc.

5.  Finally, the single best thing you can do to protect your computer and your data and your sanity, DO NOT do daily computing tasks (email, surf,  generate documents/spreadsheets/etc, music, pix, etc) using a Computer Administrator account.  Instead use a Limited User account for routine stuff and only log on with a Computer Administrator account when the task at hand requires it, then when the task is done, log off and go back to the Limited User.  Since the Limited User cannot make systemwide changes to the computer, any virus that invades while you are working as a Limited User is likewise limited in the damage it can do.

Monday, December 31, 2007 1:18 AM
  • Tom,

Do you have more than one hard drive installed to your system, CD or DVD Burner, or external hard drive?  These ways are your best alternative for backing up ALL data. I recommend to either have two hard drives or an external hard drive installed. In turn if anything goes aria then all which is required is reformatting the hard drive containing the Operating System. Also if you have all data on an external drive that allows you to store this off site if you are dealing with critical information. 

Next I recommend for you to contact the Gateway Technicial Support @ 800-369-1409 and explain your situation.  Next you need to ask how much can you purchase the recovery media for your particular model system.  Here is their contact information below but since the telephone number and web sites are not maintained by Microsoft we cannot make any warranty as to their validity:

http://www.gateway.com/about/contactus/index.php

http://support.gateway.com/s/software/medialess/faq/suppage01su44.shtml

We would really like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include the following information: 

-  Business location where purchased

-  Address

-  Phone number

-  Provide us with your email address, telephone number and/or Cell number so we reach  you. 

Also please run the diagnostic test again for inclusion with the support incident. This will enable us to review current information after any changes you may have made. Once you have done that, please reply back to this post and provide the SR # generated by the service request.  I will work with you and provide this information you provide to my supervisor.  Please let us know if you would be willing to do this!!

Thank you very much.

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, December 31, 2007 6:27 PM
  •  

Stephen,

I would like to thank you very much for the response and all the information you have provided. So please forgive me if I start venting again.

I contacted Gateway the very day this happened and told them everything that was going on with my computer. I will now give you that same information as best I can remember it. We must remember that at the time I was giving the information to Gateway (who will never receive anymore business from me) I was sitting in front of a computer that had all the problems.

I told them…

I sat down at my computer and went online to my usual homepage and Norton popped up showing that a virus had been removed from my computer. Then a moment later Windows Defender pops up (not at its usual time) and starts scanning the computer then when I go to leave the homepage and go to another website I get a blank page. I try that a few times then close internet explorer and try to reopen it but nothing happens and it will not even open up. I think ok I will try my email which I have Outlook 2003 and it will not open at all. Now I start trying all the programs I have in the system tray and quick launch but nothing happens…none will open. So I think I need to shut down the computer and restart. I do that and I get two popup windows one said something about windows forms something the other and the other was something about media and resources not enough (I actually read them to him but I do not remember exactly what they said). I also noticed that I no longer had any access to the internet so I checked the network settings…they were gone…not there…deleted somehow. I told him about the processes and how I only had 19 running when normally there is around 50 running. I gave him every single scrap of information I could and told him everything and asked if there was anything else I needed to look at and tell him about and you want to know something…the only thing he tried to do was get my lan service reconnected and when that did not work he said I probably got a virus and would need to take it to the retailer and have it looked at. For this I was charged $39. The retailer I bought it from was compusa and they just closed there last store here. The next day I called BestBuy but they could not get to me for a week to ten days. So I called some repair shops and on my second try I found one that I have been told is good and reasonable so I took it to them and guess what. EVERYTHING WORKS FINE NOW.

So like I said in my original post, even though I understand and agree with everything that Dan has said and if I still had all the program discs that I lost and the one my kid shredded especially the autocad and office 2000 discs I would be willing to use the recovery CD but why should I have to do that now when everything is running fine. Why should I have to go back to square one just to validate something that came with my computer when this computer has a genuine and valid COA? I would even be willing to buy and use the WGA kit even though I would moan and groan about having to pay again for something I already paid for but…it will not work for my computer because it is not made for media center edition. The only answer I am interested in now is the answer to this question. Why should I have to go through all this *** just to validate that I have something that I have a COA saying I have? I have a valid code on the back of my computer to testify to the fact even though the diagnostic code is not valid it does testify to the fact that I am running media center edition. That is the real answer I want and the only answer I need is valid answer to that question. I may want more answers later but at the moment that is the only answer I want.

Yes I am back to being frustrated again and a little upset. The understanding I have of this issue is…

My computer is back to the state it was in before all of this started so what is the problem?

Monday, December 31, 2007 9:06 PM
  •  

I will tell you what I am considering. This will all depend on the response I get from the repair place.

I am going to try to do what Dan suggested.

I am contacting the manufacturers of the programs I am running.

I will contact Microsoft about the fact that I no longer have the disc for office 2000 but I think I will go ahead and move up to office 2007 I am not sure about that.

I will contact Autodesk about the discs my son shredded…hopefully I will be able to get a replacement for this one because it is more expensive than mine and your computers put together. If not I will probably upgrade this one as well to 2007 or 2008.

Most of the other programs I really did not need but were good to have and I still have the discs for most of them. Some of them are outdated and need replacing anyway.

Depending on the response I get from the repair place I am either going to have this computer properly repaired or I am going to buy a Mac and the next time I purchase a new computer and because of this process Microsoft has instituted without any regard for people who have genuine and valid COA’s on their computers even though it may not match the keycode for the same program they are running then I am going to buy a Mac unless this process takes people in this situation into account.
    Monday, December 31, 2007 9:45 PM
  • Hi Tom in AZ,

I think you will really like Office 2007.

If you decide to stick with Office 2000, you can request replacement CDs from Microsoft assuming you still have some sort of proof of purchase.  However, be prepared for MS to tell you that they just don't have Office 2000 CDs available in stock anymore.  If that happens, let me know, I will burn some and send thm to you.

Here is the info for contacting MS:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us

Monday, December 31, 2007 10:08 PM
  • Tom,

I can understand how you feel.  If you would like additional assistance please provide me with the below information. In turn I will provide this to my the information through my supervisor channel.  Next I recommend that you submit a piracy report @ http://www.microsoft.com/piracy.  We would really like to get a better understanding of this issue so we can better assist not only you but other users with similar problems as well.  Could you please submit a service request with Microsoft Product Support using the following link:  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=52029.  Please include the following information: 

-  Business location where system was repaired

-  Address

-  Phone number

Next let me attempt to address your question:

"The only answer I am interested in now is the answer to this question. Why should I have to go through all this *** just to validate that I have something that I have a COA saying I have?"

Your computer was reformatted by a local store which would require the system to validate again. Unfortunately you do not have the original software which came with your system @ the time of purchase. Next the store who repaired the system after it became imbedded with a Virus placed non-genuine software on the system. What feedback did you receive from Gateway?  Also it appears Gateway maintains recovery images for about three years so if your system is older that may be why can not purchase any recovery media but you will need to get this confirmed by them by calling the number I previously provided you. 

Another situation may be to contact Microsoft and explain what you are experiencing.  If you have lost, broken, or misplaced your original Microsoft Office or Microsoft Publisher installation CD, you can order replacement media from Microsoft @  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/en-us.  Hopefully I have been able to provide you with more information. The only other option is to purchase an OEM or retail version of an operating system. 

Thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

WGA Forum Manager

Monday, December 31, 2007 10:51 PM