WLW and MOSS 2007

• I have come across a potential problem when using WLW to post to a SharePoint BlogSite. If I include images (.jpg) in the post they are uploaded as attachments to the SharePoint List and are visible from within the SharePoint site. We use email alerts on this list  to alert people to when a new post is added. The problem is that the images do not display in the email alert. If you look at the source for the email alert, the URL to the image is incomplete you get something like  http://<servername>_attach<imagefilename>. Im pretty sure the problem isn't SharePoint as if I publish the same article using Word 2007 I don't have any problems with the images in the alerts. I also tried creating a second SharePoint blog site in case this was a problem with just our existing site, but I still had exactly the same issue with the second site when using WLW to add the post.

I'm using WLW v14.0.8064.206, MOSS 2007 SP1, Outlook 2007 SP1

Has anyone else seen this or knows why I might be seeing this behaviour?

Wednesday, April 01, 2009 4:44 PM

All replies

• Thanks--we've confirmed this behavior and have logged a bug.
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 11:48 PM
  • Any word when this might be fixed?

Very strange considering that the HTML published to the blog by WLW is correct but the HTML in the alert is wrong.

Friday, July 03, 2009 5:11 AM
  • Hi there,

I work with the original poster. Do we have any update on this issue? Will a fix be issued OOB or require the next SP/release for the fix? Could we perhaps get a hotfix?

System Administrator - MS Gold Partner
    Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:29 AM
  • We have no plans to release a fix OOB.  How badly do you need this?  We haven't investigated the issue yet, so I don't know what is exactly wrong.  
    -Brandon Turner [MSFT]
    Sunday, August 16, 2009 10:15 PM
  • This is actually a pretty disappointing bug because WLW offers an incredibly convenient way to get content into SharePoint without using the normal crappy SharePoint rich text editors. WLW deals with automatically saving up the graphics and provides a pretty accurate WYSIWYG representation for non-technical users.

However alerts are a very important way to connect with the readership and bring them back the sites.

The fact that the images do not work in alerts where content originated from WLW really makes WLW useless for publishing content to SharePoint blogs.

Maybe there is way to fix this without having to release an update to WLW but this seems really broken based on my investigations. Looks fine in the browser but in Outlook alert messages the content images are as described by the first poster.

I'm stunned there is not more people complaining about this.

Monday, August 17, 2009 1:21 PM
  • Well its not life or death. But we generally post content twice a week, so it would be a nice bug to fix :)

We use it to publish content to Sharepoint and its generally the director's that publish content to the site, so as you can imagine they see it as a big deal ;) If you could investigate and establish if it would at least be a quick fix I would very much appriciate it.

As JohnHodg has mentioned, I'm suprised we don't have more people complaining about this issue :S

Thanks for your help

Joe Gough
    Wednesday, August 19, 2009 8:52 AM
  •  I'm suprised we don't have more people complaining about this issue :S

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 12:11 PM
  • Still complaining...any update?

Friday, December 18, 2009 4:04 AM