Firewall problems, OneCare in general failing RRS feed

• Question

• Here's a note I left with OneCare Tech Support.  I got a service # and don't know when I'll get a reply:

Using Windows Vista.  Everything was OK until turning on computer this AM.  Red OneCare icon saying firewall was not turned on (?).  Tried to turn it on and busy icon (rotating ring) wouldn't go away and system would not respond.  This went on during many attempts.  Windows Defender was also disabled (red shield with white X on it icon).  Went round and round.  Looked online at help forums.  Unstalled and reinstalled using OneCare instructions, although it would not reinstall.  Did a system restore back to a restore point of last night.  Did not help matter, still have red OneCare icons but with more info:  virus/spyware monitoring turned off, subscribe to stay protected turned off (expires in 15 days???),    go to help center (in red) and turn on firewall (in red). Everything stalls when I attempt to enable anything.  I know my subscription is good until August.  HELP!!!  Now I have a yellow triangle icon with an exclamation point as well!

Also tried to download any fixes listed on this site with no success.

Tried to access it again, OneCare icon is gone, tried OneCare shortcut on desktop and it says it cannot access OneCare.  It says service is not working or has been stopped.  It says to restart the system or contact customer care.  Why can't we talk to a live person?

Any suggestions? 

Sunday, March 9, 2008 10:33 PM

Answers

• Depending on your location, phone support hours will vary.

Since your problem began with the firewall failure, then with a System Restore and a number of other actions, you ended up in a worse state, I think it may be best to do the following:

1. Check your system date and time.

2. Run the cleanup tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

3. Reinstall OneCare.

4. Activate with your subscription LiveID.

Note that you should not have Windows Defender running alongside OneCare. OneCare includes the protection of Defender.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:15 PM

All replies

• Depending on your location, phone support hours will vary.

Since your problem began with the firewall failure, then with a System Restore and a number of other actions, you ended up in a worse state, I think it may be best to do the following:

1. Check your system date and time.

2. Run the cleanup tool - 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=828910&SiteID=2

3. Reinstall OneCare.

4. Activate with your subscription LiveID.

Note that you should not have Windows Defender running alongside OneCare. OneCare includes the protection of Defender.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:15 PM
  •  

Thank you.  I did this and apparently OneCare automatically turns off Defender to override it.  Just a little apprehensive about uninstalling since it was a subscription and didn't come with an installation CD.  Worked like a charm! 

Mary 

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:30 PM
  • I'm glad to read that it is resolved now, Mary.

-steve

Thursday, March 13, 2008 12:31 AM