backing up WHS over internet to a second WHS RRS feed

• Question

• I use a WHS for my business (North Island NZ) one of my sons uses WHS for his business (South Island of NZ) - it would be great if we could back up each others user accounts and backups to our WHS - has anyone tried this and is in a position to offer advice?

Monday, January 18, 2010 11:58 PM

Answers

• It probably wouldn't work for the client backup database, as one backup database would overwrite the others.
    However, you can backup the shared folders - setup a VPN (hamachi works fine) and use Synctoy or other programs to synchronize. It wouldn't be fast (depending on your upload speeds), but it is possible.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:30 PM

All replies

• It probably wouldn't work for the client backup database, as one backup database would overwrite the others.
    However, you can backup the shared folders - setup a VPN (hamachi works fine) and use Synctoy or other programs to synchronize. It wouldn't be fast (depending on your upload speeds), but it is possible.
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:30 PM
  • ... and of course it may depend from the amount of data, since especially the upload bandwidth is usually seriously limited for home connections. The size of backups in comparision with the available bandwidth would be the main reason to make it impossible, because otherwise a copy created with the WHS Database Backup Add-in could be used for this purpose instead of the current backup database.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, January 19, 2010 10:48 PM