is there any way to put a web application on the internet with using only vwde? RRS feed

• Question

• is there any way to put a web application on the internet with using only visual web developer 2008 express and nothing like iis?
    • Moved by Kee Poppy Wednesday, June 22, 2011 2:51 AM (From:Visual Basic General)
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:18 PM

Answers

• If your web application makes use of Microsoft web technologies like ASP and ASP.NET, then that all gets processed on the server, and that server needs to be IIS (there are some minor exceptions that are cumbersome and not worth getting into)

If your "application" was all made up of static webpages and javascript, then yes you could simply FTP the files up to any valid web server and that server would serve up those pages. However if any processing is done on the server side, you need to deploy the application to run on in the correct environment, and for ASP and ASP.NET that environment is IIS.

Matt Kleinwaks - MSMVP MSDN Forums Moderator - www.zerosandtheone.com
    • Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:03 PM
    • Marked as answer by davidsbro Friday, April 26, 2013 1:23 AM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:50 PM
  • http://www.iis.net/forums

The official Microsoft forum for net servers

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:57 AM
  • I would recommend posting your question to the Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer Express forum:

http://forums.asp.net/1213.aspx

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:21 PM

All replies

• If your web application makes use of Microsoft web technologies like ASP and ASP.NET, then that all gets processed on the server, and that server needs to be IIS (there are some minor exceptions that are cumbersome and not worth getting into)

If your "application" was all made up of static webpages and javascript, then yes you could simply FTP the files up to any valid web server and that server would serve up those pages. However if any processing is done on the server side, you need to deploy the application to run on in the correct environment, and for ASP and ASP.NET that environment is IIS.

• Proposed as answer by Cor Ligthert Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:03 PM
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:50 PM
  • You make the app with VWDE, but it's not very useful if you don't host it somewhere.  You question isn't very clear.  What do you mean by "nothing like iis"?

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 8:51 PM
  • what i mean is, can i make a web application and just use features in vwde to put it on the internet? 
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:18 PM
  • I don't have VWDE installed, but there is usually a "publish" function, which you can publish to a web server on the internet. You have to specify information about the remote server you wish to publish to, but again, it still is going to need to be an IIS server on the internet you publish to if your app is targetting .NET.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:20 PM
  • In vwde 2008, which is what i have, there is no publish function that i can find.

Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:42 PM
  • Look on the Build menu.  Or right click in Solution Explorer.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:55 PM
  • Since i must use iis, is there any way i can create my own server in vwde and put that on iis? I tried, put i can't figure out how to put a server or web site on iis.
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 9:56 PM
  • i read somewhere on msdn there is no publish for vwde
    Wednesday, June 15, 2011 10:27 PM
  • http://www.iis.net/forums

The official Microsoft forum for net servers

Success
    Cor
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 5:57 AM
  • I would recommend posting your question to the Visual Studio and Visual Web Developer Express forum:

http://forums.asp.net/1213.aspx

Paul ~~~~ Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)
    Thursday, June 16, 2011 12:21 PM