Data Loss during WHS Reinstallation RRS feed

• Question

• I decided it was time to upgrade my motherboard and cpu in my home server since I ran out of SATA ports.  I got a new Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H motherboard and AMD 7750 CPU.  If I tried to install WHS with my HD Controllers in SATA mode in the BIOS I would get the reinstall option.  If it was in IDE mode I wouldn't get the option even though my System drive was Drive 0. I wanted to have my controller in SATA mode when everything was finished but figured I would need to load the SATA driver....  After many attempts to get everything to sync up just right I got frustrated and here is what happened resulting in a loss of all my storage pool drives.

1 - Mother Board Controller in SATA Mode to get Reinstall Option
    2 - Blue Screen after Reboot
    3 - Changed Motherboard Controller to IDE mode... continued to install.  ***This is where I'm sure the mistake was made :(
    4 - Installation Failed - All HDs storage pool HDs showup as unallocated
    5 - Installed WHS as New Install with only 1 HD Connected - With properly slipstreamed CD with Motherboard in SATA mode
    6 - HDs I was going to use for Storage Pool all show up as Unallocated with no partitions

I've tried several Partition Undelete programs but haven't found one that can recover anything.  Luckly I made a additional backup of all my "Critical Pics / Documents" but it would be nice to not have to re-rip about 3TB worth of movies.

I'm not sure exactly what happened to the drives when I switched from SATA to IDE during the install process but if anyone has any recovery ideas I'm open..

Matt
    Friday, June 5, 2009 8:28 PM

All replies

• I decided it was time to upgrade my motherboard and cpu in my home server since I ran out of SATA ports.  I got a new Gigabyte MA780G-UD3H motherboard and AMD 7750 CPU.  If I tried to install WHS with my HD Controllers in SATA mode in the BIOS I would get the reinstall option.  If it was in IDE mode I wouldn't get the option even though my System drive was Drive 0. I wanted to have my controller in SATA mode when everything was finished but figured I would need to load the SATA driver....  After many attempts to get everything to sync up just right I got frustrated and here is what happened resulting in a loss of all my storage pool drives.

1 - Mother Board Controller in SATA Mode to get Reinstall Option
    2 - Blue Screen after Reboot
    3 - Changed Motherboard Controller to IDE mode... continued to install.  ***This is where I'm sure the mistake was made :(
    4 - Installation Failed - All HDs storage pool HDs showup as unallocated
    5 - Installed WHS as New Install with only 1 HD Connected - With properly slipstreamed CD with Motherboard in SATA mode
    6 - HDs I was going to use for Storage Pool all show up as Unallocated with no partitions

I've tried several Partition Undelete programs but haven't found one that can recover anything.  Luckly I made a additional backup of all my "Critical Pics / Documents" but it would be nice to not have to re-rip about 3TB worth of movies.

I'm not sure exactly what happened to the drives when I switched from SATA to IDE during the install process but if anyone has any recovery ideas I'm open..

Matt

Please define exactly what you mean by "continued to install" in step 3.  Did you start over from scratch (boot from DVD and select Server Reinstallation) or something else?
    Friday, June 5, 2009 11:16 PM
  • Step 3 is where I would get the blue screen because I didn't have the proper SATA drivers loaded.  So by switching to IDE mode the installation wouldn't blue screen and continued.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 12:35 AM
  • Step 3 is where I would get the blue screen because I didn't have the proper SATA drivers loaded.  So by switching to IDE mode the installation wouldn't blue screen and continued.

After you switched to IDE mode, did you boot from the DVD (and start the entire Server Reinstallation process over, starting with the point where you select Server Reinstallation)?  It sounds to me like you "just continued" where it left off (blue-screened) instead of starting over.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:07 AM
  • That is correct - I just continued.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 1:35 AM
  • That is correct - I just continued.

That must be where your problem occurred (although I must admit I'm a little baffled as to why it would apparently format all of your hard drives...)
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 3:03 PM
  • Thats what I figured... I am having some success recovering the files with Easeus Data Recovery Wizard.. It takes about 6 hrs to scan the drive (1.5TB) and I have to restore the files to another location and I don't have an extra empty drive right now... so I am in the process of trying to recover the partition using Partition Table Dr also made by them - I'm about 3 hrs into what looks like is going to be a about a 8 hr scan.  I'm hoping it will be able to recover the data on the same drive.  I'll post my results.
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 5:30 PM
  • Thats what I figured... I am having some success recovering the files with Easeus Data Recovery Wizard.. It takes about 6 hrs to scan the drive (1.5TB) and I have to restore the files to another location and I don't have an extra empty drive right now... so I am in the process of trying to recover the partition using Partition Table Dr also made by them - I'm about 3 hrs into what looks like is going to be a about a 8 hr scan.  I'm hoping it will be able to recover the data on the same drive.  I'll post my results.

That makes more sense.  I could see how the partition table got wiped out (just not the actual data).
    Saturday, June 6, 2009 9:04 PM