Update process to 64bit RRS feed

• Question

• When I purchased my HP Media Server with MHS, it had the 32 bit system. My computer is a 64 bit system, so I have not be able to install the 32 bit software. Will the PP1 have a utility to load the 64 bit software without using the 32 bit disks and still keep the orginal license? or will in MS wisdom will we poor orginal purchasers of the 32 bit systems have to purchase a 2nd license for the 64 bit platform?

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:08 AM

Answers

• Thudson, which system are you referring to:  the WHS, or your desktop?
    If you're referring to the lack of a 64-bit Connector, that will be rectified with the release of PP1 (and, no, you won't need to repurchase anything.)
    If you're referring to the WHS having 64-bit hardware:  well, that's pretty much the norm these days.  However, a 32-bit OS (and, with it, 32-bit applications) will install on 64-bit hardware (the hardware is backwards-compatible.) 
    Clarification, please?

Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:32 PM
  • There is no 64 bit version of Windows Home Server - the earliest you will see this would be WHS V2, so not for a while yet.

There is support for 64 bit Vista included in PP1 as Cuppie said if you are referring to clients rather than the server.

Andrew

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:50 PM

All replies

• As far as I know, there is no 64bit Windows Home Server Operating System. What I don't understand is, why Microsoft requires OEMs to equip Windows Home Server Systems with a 64bit processor, since you cannot use 64bit Software with it...

Sabine

Sunday, June 8, 2008 8:10 AM
  • Thudson, which system are you referring to:  the WHS, or your desktop?
    If you're referring to the lack of a 64-bit Connector, that will be rectified with the release of PP1 (and, no, you won't need to repurchase anything.)
    If you're referring to the WHS having 64-bit hardware:  well, that's pretty much the norm these days.  However, a 32-bit OS (and, with it, 32-bit applications) will install on 64-bit hardware (the hardware is backwards-compatible.) 
    Clarification, please?

Sunday, June 8, 2008 4:32 PM
  • There is no 64 bit version of Windows Home Server - the earliest you will see this would be WHS V2, so not for a while yet.

There is support for 64 bit Vista included in PP1 as Cuppie said if you are referring to clients rather than the server.

Andrew

Sunday, June 8, 2008 6:50 PM