none
Will the MCPD Certifications on Visual Studio 2010 be legacy in 2013? RRS feed

• Question

• The anouncement of the retirement of exams 70-511, 513, 515 and 516 on 31 July 2013 was unexpected.

I would have expected a longer transition period during which the Visual Studio 2010 and Visual Studio 2012 exams can be taken.

Where does this leave the Visual Studio 2010 developers who are not building apps for Metro Style Apps?

Is it intended that the MCPD Certification on Visual Studio 2010 be legacy in July 2013 or will Microsoft be releasing some new exams for Visual Studio 2010?

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:35 AM

Answers

• Hi Len,

You are indeed correct.  All of the previous Visual Studio certifications are currently scheduled to expire next July. For Visual Studio 2012, only a Windows Metro track (C# and HTML/JS) have been announced. This announcement was very recent. I would anticipate an announcement of a web track in the near future.

I am not aware of any plans for certifications on Windows applications other than the Metro track.  I personally feel that this is a mistake. A lot of us developers still need to build WinForms and WPF apps as well as console applications and Windows services.  My suggestion is that you let Microsoft know that this is important to you.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MSF, MCSD, MCAD, etc.

If you found this post helpful, please Vote As Helpful or Propose As Answer

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:42 PM

All replies

• Where did you see that these exams will be retired on July 2013 as the official Microsoft Site doesn;t mention anything about these exams being retired?

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-lifecycle.aspx#tab2

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt), MCT, MCPD, MCSD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Twitter: @Mr_Wharty
    MC ID: Microsoft Transcript

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 9:05 AM
  • There is no information on that link which states that these exams will be retired in July 2013.

When you see answers and helpful posts, please click Vote As Helpful, Propose As Answer, and/or Mark As Answer

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:38 AM
  • I went to the link again and still saw nothing.  For some reason I had to delete my browser cache. :-)

Jeff Wharton

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:52 AM
  • Retiring on July 31, 2013

Am I reading this incorrectly? If you expand the Visual Studio exams scheduled for retirement these include the following:

70-502: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 - Windows Presentation Foundation

70-503: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 - Windows Communication Foundation

70-504: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 – Workflow

70-505: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5, Windows Forms Application Development

70-511: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0, Windows Applications Development

70-513: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0, Windows Communication Foundation Development

70-515: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0, Web Applications Development

70-516: TS: Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0, Accessing Data with ADO.NET

70-518: Pro: Designing and Developing Windows Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

70-519: Pro: Designing and Developing Web Applications Using Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 10:56 AM
  • Hi Len,

You are indeed correct.  All of the previous Visual Studio certifications are currently scheduled to expire next July. For Visual Studio 2012, only a Windows Metro track (C# and HTML/JS) have been announced. This announcement was very recent. I would anticipate an announcement of a web track in the near future.

I am not aware of any plans for certifications on Windows applications other than the Metro track.  I personally feel that this is a mistake. A lot of us developers still need to build WinForms and WPF apps as well as console applications and Windows services.  My suggestion is that you let Microsoft know that this is important to you.

Mike Corkery, MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MSF, MCSD, MCAD, etc.

If you found this post helpful, please Vote As Helpful or Propose As Answer

Tuesday, June 26, 2012 4:42 PM

• the 70-515 for VS 2008 is being retired.  The 70-515 exam for VS 2010 will remain available well beyond this period.

The press book for 70-480 comes out in april so not long to wait.  I think the app store cert is a good one to get.

• Edited by Guerrilla Monday, December 24, 2012 4:01 PM
    Monday, December 24, 2012 3:40 PM
  • Hi,

the retirement dates have changed.

The MCTS and MCPD on VS2010 (70-511, 70-513, 70-515, 70-516, 70-518, 70-519) will not retire on July:

http://borntolearn.mslearn.net/btl/b/weblog/archive/2013/02/08/update-on-visual-studio-2010-exam-retirement-dates.aspx#fbid=rOBZfUAFJPN 

Chris

Code Samples: Code Samples

Thursday, May 23, 2013 8:57 AM