I have a problem with the Windows Prefetch feature RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

My name is Ionut Miclea and I have a problem with the windows prefetch. I am hopping that you can help me solve it because I can’t find anything helpful on the web.

My problem is that I have to deliver an application to a company that has an obsessed problem with security. I am deploying my application with a setup kit. I am executing the setup and installing the application on Windows XP SP2 under an Administrator account. After the setup is finished I have to log off and log on as a normal user. It is not possible to start the application as a normal user. With FileMon we discovered that the application is trying to use data from folder C:\Windows\Prefetch.

We have two posibilities to work arround this issue. As a first fix we have to start first the aplication as Administrator and after that log off and log back on as normal user. Then the aplication works. As a second fix we have to explicitly set read and write permisions for that user to the folder C:\Windows\Prefetch. Then the aplication also works.

None of the two fixes presented abowe are acceptable. I have searched the web for the cause of the problem but I couldn’t find one. If you have a solution for this problem please help me.

Thanks,

Ionut Miclea

• Moved by Rick Byers Friday, July 18, 2008 4:59 PM This is not a question about .NET developer tools. There does not appear to be a forum on MSDN for general OS questions like this.
    Wednesday, July 16, 2008 2:57 PM