My PC not added to Mesh, can't remote desktop RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed Mesh on my home and work PCs. Neither one is appearing as an icon in my mesh which I understand it should. Consequently I can't remote desktop. Home is XP Home and work is XP Pro.

Also, the MoeMonitor.exe will not run. 

Am I missing something?

Bob - www.crowcoder.com

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:29 PM

Answers

• Okay, that's good news. The error you are seeing indicates a potential driver issue. It can often be resolved with a reboot. It does sound like the client was eventually logged in at home since you now see it added at www.mesh.com

As of yesterday, you indicated that both machines had the same issue with the client starting, throwing the error and immediately closing. Was that not actually the case at home or did you do something to get the Live Mesh client to run?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    • Marked as answer by Molku Friday, May 7, 2010 12:50 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:55 PM

All replies

• Well, moemonitor not running is a problem.

First of all. Is there a proxy server on the work network? If so, Live Mesh will not work.

Secondly, what is the state of the client on both PCs? In the system tray, is the Mesh icon visible? is it blue or grey? If you open it, what is the status in the notifier? Does it claim to be signed in?

When you go to www.mesh.com are you not seeing either PC in the Mesh when you sign in with the LiveID that you signed into the client with?

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 12:51 PM
  • No proxy server at work or home. The client (notifier) will not start and does not show at all in the sys tray. It was there briefly when first installed and it was blue. When I try to start it up manually it does nothing at all.

When I try to add a live mesh folder from windows explorer it says I need to sign in. I click yes then it tells me to start the notifier.

When I try to collect logs I get a command window with "File name or extension too long.." scrolling repeatedly with a few "File not Found"s mixed in.

I see no PCs when I sign into my mesh. I can create and use folders on the Live Desktop.

Bob - www.crowcoder.com
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 1:01 PM
  • Since the notifier isn't starting, you can never sign in. Since the machines can't sign in, they have not yet joined the Mesh.

There are a number of possible reasons for the problem you are encountering. Unfortunately, even if you could submit your logs in a bug report, it is unlikely that you would get a response.

Were you logged in with Admin rights to install Live Mesh and connect for the first time?

You may have some service(s) disabled that Live Mesh requires.

Another possibility is that your location (OS language) isn't supported for Live Mesh yet. What is your OS lannguage?

And another is a bit obscure, but if either of these PCs were ever using a very early preview build of IE8, Mesh may not work properly.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:31 PM
  • Yes, I was logged in as Admin.

Do you know what services are required to be running?

OS langueage is US EN

I did not have any preview versions of IE8.

I have uninstalled Mesh and will do the same at home and start over.

Bob - www.crowcoder.com
    Wednesday, May 5, 2010 3:45 PM
  • I was afraid that you were going to ask about services. I'm just about to email someone from the Mesh team to have a look at your post. Thanks for ruling out the other 3 options, then.

A reinstall would be a good choice, except for the fact that you encountered the same problem on two different machines.

-steve

Wednesday, May 5, 2010 4:33 PM
  • Making progress. I removed Mesh from my work pc, I mostly wanted it to remote into my home pc anyway.

The client seems to be running fine at home, and my pc now shows up in my mesh. However, when I try to remote to it I get "mesh can't hide desktop on remote computer" and the window hangs. I gave it about 8 minutes (a few times) before killing it. When I get home I'll make sure nothing is going on with my pc.

Bob - www.crowcoder.com
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:37 PM
  • Okay, that's good news. The error you are seeing indicates a potential driver issue. It can often be resolved with a reboot. It does sound like the client was eventually logged in at home since you now see it added at www.mesh.com

As of yesterday, you indicated that both machines had the same issue with the client starting, throwing the error and immediately closing. Was that not actually the case at home or did you do something to get the Live Mesh client to run?

-steve

• Marked as answer by Molku Friday, May 7, 2010 12:50 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:55 PM
  • That was the case at home, though now I am not so sure I rebooted after installing. I started up this morning and was prompted to log into the client. I had not seen that before. It was online when I left this morning and my mesh shows it online still.
    Bob - www.crowcoder.com
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 12:59 PM
  • Well, so far so good, at least. Now, to resolve the display issue, of course, is another story yet.

-steve

Thursday, May 6, 2010 1:35 PM
  • Update on this Molku?

-steve

Friday, May 7, 2010 12:41 PM
  • It worked this morning. I have no explanation why it didn't work yesterday. I went to disable my second monitor in case that was a problem but it was already disabled.

Thank you for your time.

Bob - www.crowcoder.com
    Friday, May 7, 2010 12:50 PM
  • It worked this morning. I have no explanation why it didn't work yesterday. I went to disable my second monitor in case that was a problem but it was already disabled.

Thank you for your time.

Bob - www.crowcoder.com

Thanks for the update. You'll probably encounter the occasional glitch with the RD conectivity, but at least we know it works now. Thanks for the update!

-steve

Friday, May 7, 2010 1:32 PM